What's new

I need help adding mirrored lenses to a pair of glasses for my online store

Hello all,

Newbie here!

I've got basic knowledge of Photoshop but i'm really stuck with this one.

I want to offer sunglasses with mirrored lenses in the existing frames I offer, however I can't work out how I can add this in photoshop. Could anyone lend me a hand?

There's another one or two pairs that i'd like to add this to, so any advice would be amazing.

Can you help?

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another way is find another set with the lenses you want, then cut and paste
Good suggestion Mike, but I believe the op was looking for a more specific solution.......
Mattyblakers said:
I want to offer sunglasses with mirrored lenses in the existing frames.
Mattyblakers Remember that mirrored sunglasses produce a direct reflection of what the subject wearing the sunglasses might be looking at. When I say direct, I'm referring to a mirrored image and not just a subtle reflection that you might get on a regular pair of tinted sunglasses.

Use your Pen Tool to make a selection of the lenses.
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.01.27 AM.png

We are going to use a clipping mask to create our reflection. This gives us the ability to adjust the reflection

Next, on a new layer fill the selection with any color, it doesn't matter which, I used white.
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.01.52 AM.png

Next, open an image that you think might be reflected.
It should be the uppermost layer.
I converted the image to a Smart object just in case I needed to make multiple changes to the image.

Then you need to adjust the images perspective to fit the sunglass lenses using Free Transform (Cmd/Cntrl + T)
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 10.54.50 AM.png

Next, right click the "image reflection" layer and choose CREATE CLIPPING MASK.
This will clip the image to the white lens selection we created earlier.
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.02.09 AM.png

To complete the effect I added a Solid Color Fill layer set to blend mode MULTIPLY to mimic the background lighting.
I also clipped this layer to the one below it so it would only affect the lenses.

And then I added a gradient layer to mimic room lighting.
I did this by adding a new layer, Cmd/Cntrl + clicking the white lenses layer thumbnail to make a selection.
I then used the Gradient Tool with the FOREGROUND TO TRANSPARENT preset and black ans my foreground color.
I then created a gradient from bottom (darker) to the top (lighter)
I lowered the layers opacity to taste.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.02.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.03.23 AM.png

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help on the last post. It feels like it's a little too technical to do myself :(

Would you be able to help me with something a little easier? I want the same image, however we just want it to be a standard black sunglasses lens.

Could you break it down really simply how I could go about doing this?

Thanks
Matt

Matt, what you want is easy to do, just takes a bit of time and patience.
Try it I think you will surprise yourself.
I did and it worked !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What we have described so far is fairly simple techniques so I don't think it can get much easier.

For dark sunglasses, you will still be required to make a selection of the lenses.....
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 10.39.26 AM.png

On a new layer, fill that selection with a dark color, then reduce it's opacity.
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 10.39.36 AM.png

Select both layers, copy them, and then merge them. Then follow the tutorial that Gedstar first suggested in post #2 to add the reflection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrmV8knV7CQ

Or use the method I described above.