What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help to create a black/dark gap in a curtain

Aragorn1976

Hi!!! I am relatively new to Photoshop and I need some help to create a black gap in a curtain. I did a photomanipulation where a subject is coming out from a curtain, but the curtain has no black gaps, so it looks unnatural. Any ideas? I tried with the clone tool, but the circular shape doesn't help at all. Is there a way to create a gap/hole without using the clone tool? Or maybe I should use a different brush? Any help would be great, thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing is true here on the forum is that a picture is worth a thousand words. Providing a sample image would make our job of helping you much much easier! Otherwise, we're only guessing at what you may need.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Having no idea as to what you are actually needing, I can only guess based on your description. I won't go into any details until you respond with your images.

Here I took a set of curtains.
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.25.38 AM.png

Divided them, placing each half on their own separate layers
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.25.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.26.08 AM.png

Then using Liquify, Created an opening for both sides
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.26.31 AM.png

Added a background layer
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.26.40 AM.png

And finally a brushed layer for shading.
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.27.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.32.32 AM.png

Aragorn1976

Thank you very much!!! I will keep that in mind for the next post. I guess you have created the layers curtain right and curtain left by using the select tool and then by selecting a rectangular area?