What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really worked hard on this one

Vafann

Guru
Puh! I really tried to try to be more patient and less sloppy on this one. It makes no sense of course lol. I think I at least need to crop it a bit, any other suggestions? I keep trying out almost all the suggestions I recieve around here, so if you have any advice please tell me.:)

typ-färdig-1-flat.jpg

Ugh, I just saw that I messed it up when I was shrinking it for the web, it´s all scrunched up and pixelated, I have to fix that at least.

For me it looks pretty good and finished :clap:

P.S. those "hair" edges and some dots (near head) are over sharpened so you got little halos around it.

Thank you Senior S! Yes! That´s what I mean, the halos and sharp edges, I think I did that when I tried to chnage the size for the web. I have tried again, I´ll see if it´s better now..

flat.jpg

I like it, all the elements of this piece work really well together, there's a natural flow to everything and feels quite surreal. One thing though, some of the edges are confusing. The top edge of the bird has an hi-light and a shadow behind it. Some just have dark edges. Otherwise well done and cool piece.

ps. Thinking in terms of a light source can help produce a more natural sense of light and shading in a piece.

Thanks it is one of my passions not realised here before, i like your use of the 'trilla' brush set (no2 - i believe) and the way you have incorporated the cuttle fish (i think its a cuttle fish) squid maybe?
Great work regardless, very nice blend of images and colours.

Yupp, the cropped version of it works better. Concentrates the image to the important content of it and not a lot of dead space.

My first reaction to the white "fringe" around the flamingo's neck and shouders ( do birds have shoulders ..? ) was it's the result of a not to well done cutout ... but now I'm not sure if you intentionally did it like that. Hard to say since there are no other of those white edges anywhere ...

Anyways, usually a white fringe or halo around a subject in a montage is regarded as a dead giveaway of a "sloppy" cutout job. You may want to consider taking that off .. ?

In any ways - I like your hard work here. Yet another step forward for you my friend !
Keep pushing !!! :)

Thank you JGN! I think that "fringe" is because I have been playing around with the layer styles, and I started messing things up with "outer glow" and "Inner glow" and shadows and bevel and i don´t know what else. I have been trying out everything. Lol. I think I also have made a mistake when I have been flattening things, I have been keeping all the layer masks in it as well. I just thought about that, you are supposed to throw them away when you´re done right? They make a fringe thing, that I also just learned doesn´t really erase things, it shows through. I have been cutting pretty sloppily, but then I have been extremely careful cleaning the edges with masks. I guess that´s not such a good idea. lol. :)

I have been cutting pretty sloppily, but then I have been extremely careful cleaning the edges with masks. I guess that´s not such a good idea. lol. :)

That's a good idea. I think most do that. Only for this particular object better was use pen tool.

> I think I also have made a mistake when I have been flattening things, I have been keeping all the layer masks in it as well. I just thought about that, you are supposed to throw them away when you´re done right?

YIKES !!! NEVER flatten a PSD .. ! It may very well screw things up for you if you use different Layer Modes and what not. When you're done with the image - save it ( Ctrl/Cmd + S ) and then save a COPY as a jpg via Save As... ( Shift + Ctrl/Cmd + S ) if you want an image to post on the web or something.

If you need to merge certain layers - or all layers - when working with the images, then "stamp" them by clicking off the eye on layers you don't want to merge - or keep them all on - highlight the layer beneath the one you want to put the stamped layer on - in most cases the top one - and hit Shift + Ctrl/Cmd + Alt/Opt + E.
That puts a copy of the merged layers on top and since it's a copy, it will leave the copied layers intact. Then you can continue from there and if you find you have made a mistake at an earlier stage - you still got the original layers untouched.
That's Non-destructive for you ... :)

quote jgraphnet, qoute,
the hair looks a bit unnatural, it looks like the black hair belongs to her and the red is painted over, but besides that: i can't find any other points=> Great work!

> I think I also have made a mistake when I have been flattening things, I have been keeping all the layer masks in it as well. I just thought about that, you are supposed to throw them away when you´re done right?

YIKES !!! NEVER flatten a PSD .. ! It may very well screw things up for you if you use different Layer Modes and what not. When you're done with the image - save it ( Ctrl/Cmd + S ) and then save a COPY as a jpg via Save As... ( Shift + Ctrl/Cmd + S ) if you want an image to post on the web or something.

If you need to merge certain layers - or all layers - when working with the images, then "stamp" them by clicking off the eye on layers you don't want to merge - or keep them all on - highlight the layer beneath the one you want to put the stamped layer on - in most cases the top one - and hit Shift + Ctrl/Cmd + Alt/Opt + E.
That puts a copy of the merged layers on top and since it's a copy, it will leave the copied layers intact. Then you can continue from there and if you find you have made a mistake at an earlier stage - you still got the original layers untouched.
That's Non-destructive for you ... :)

Oh, OOOOooooops! lol! Ok, I will do that from now on, Thank you JGN! I´m still wondering though, are you supposed to throw the masks away when you are done using them? :)

quote jgraphnet, qoute,
the hair looks a bit unnatural, it looks like the black hair belongs to her and the red is painted over, but besides that: i can't find any other points=> Great work!

Thank you burned Ice! :)

>quote jgraphnet, qoute
Huhh.. ?? :confused:

>I´m still wondering though, are you supposed to throw the masks away when you are done using them?

I can't find any reason to throw anything away from an image you have worked hard on for several hours, but I guess each one have their own opinion on this ...

Save the PSD = preserves everyting.
Make copies of it in any fashion you like, but saving the original PSD untouched gives you the ultimate option of going back and make all the changes you want - or need.

Also, make it a good practice as soon as possible to name your layers with something relevant to it's content, or the adjustment it contains. Makes backtracking a lot easier ...

Back