What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icons and Icon Plug-Ins

TheStyxCrossing

Hey guys,

I've been spending days trying to design custom icons for my desktop, but I've looked at countless tutorials, downloaded several file type plug-ins, and tried over and over again to create and save icons to no avail.

What I'm trying to do is create icons that appear to be glowing, therefore I need an icon file that allows for transparency and semi-transparency. From what I've read all over the place, the icon files used by vista support it, but I can't find a working plug-in to save this type of icon file. Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm just dumb, possibly both.

I'm not new to photoshop, but I am new to making icons, so please bear with me, but if anybody could post/find me a decent, reliable tutorial and/or a file type plug in that works with vista and transparency, I would be forever in your dept. Seriously I'd really appreciate it, I've been at it for days now. If you need any more info from me let me know! Thanks a lot guys.

you should be able to use any png image but dont quote me on that if you want some cool icons and effects though you should look at installing rocket dock gives windows a more mac feel with a dock and you put all your icons in the doc and use any image you want to create the icons.

That was one of the things I was planning on doing to customize the desktop, but I really wanted to design the icons and cursors and all that myself. I did try saving the image as a .png as I had seen people suggesting that other places, but I was never able to open the file when in the icon preferences. Thanks for the tip though!

However rocket dock will let you use gifs and pngs for your icon files

Oh really? I may try downloading rocket dock then. That sounds much easier. Does it allow for transparency? And can you change all the icons, including the computer and documents icons and all those? Sorry if that's too many questions, I kinda particular. lol

I dont think you can change system icons easily you can create registry hacks but if you do not know what your doing then dont even try it however with things like rocket dock you can get system themes and yes you can change them that way

I just installed it and it works perfectly. I was able to save a .png with transparency and it loaded no problem. I owe you big time. lol. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Using converters is inefficient.

Photoshop has support for the .ICO format that Windows uses for folders, executables, thumbnails, etc.. And it does have interlaced support (transparency).
Although, it is a third-party plug-in that is not officially supported by Adobe- I have it, it works and it free so that is a instant win.
Here's a link to it, scroll down and select the operating system type you own and download it. Once downloaded locate the file "README.html" that is within the .ZIP archive download for installment instructions.
Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software

Hope that works out for you,
DoTTGaMMa.

Back