What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you *must* be destructive (more extracting chat)

S

Stroker1

Another quick ramble on more related things.

I remember when Extract and the New & Improved Eraser Tools were introduced. People running all over the place shouting nothing but good things.

They are good, but they are destructive. Once a chunk of a subject is gone, it's gone.

Ah, but the Eraser Tools allow you to do some pretty creative extraction things that aren't really available else where in PS. They are good for some things.

The Fix Part 1:
Use the Eraser tools or Extract on a copy. Most people I know already do this, but I have seen some "mundanes" out there. Not pretty. Of course, Undo (ctrl + z) is a good friend when you don't quite have the hang of the various parameters. History palette is always a life saver.

The Fix Part 2:
Use a Layer Mask anyways.
What?!
Follow me:
1) Copy.
2) Extract using Extract or Eraser Tools.
3) Load the selection (ctrl + click).
4) Back to original copy.
5) Add Layer Mask.
6) Trashing destructed layer optional.

Best of both worlds. You can use the fancy-smancy tools and remain non-destructive.

I've suggested this several times and I usually get one of two reactions:
1) Duh! as in, "That's sooo obvious. If you can't figure this out, exit PS and return your computer."
2) Doh! as in, "Why didn't I think of that? If I had known sooner, I could have saved myself a headache or two."

play.fiddle.learn

G

Fix2 is so obvious, that I didn't even think of that :rofl:

I use layer masks for about everything, but never came up with idea to use the extracted part to build up your layer mask and to go on from there.
Nice tip, because I really love those non-destructive ways of editing :perfect:

wbiss

Guru
Stroker... so much useful info! :perfect: It's hard for a relative newbie like myself to absorb it all... Thanks for sharing! ;)

AppleCider

Power User
OMG, Stroker, this is wonderful! It solved a knotty problem I have on something I'm working on right now. Thanks!