What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Illustrator Help

lindaw

Power User
Ok I have Ill 10 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the color swatches show up! It shows the color panel but only in RGB, no cute little boxes like pshop. I checked the help files and I don't see where I can make this show up. Is this not an option with Ill? [confused] [confused]

lindaw

Power User
Never mind. It is just the power of the board! I can't find squat then I post and wham it is right there.

Got it!!....

Rantin Al

Guru
Hi Lindaw,

Window > Swatches brings up the default swatches, blends and patterns. To customise a new colour, click the new colour icon. Keep the swatch selected. Click on the wee round arrow button on the top right of the palette. Scroll down to palette options. Pick the colour mode from the dropdown.

Al

lindaw

Power User
Thanks!! I just got the proggie and now I have to make a logo so I am flying by the seat of my pants!

Thanks for the info!! 8}

lindaw

Power User
HELP! Ok the client sends me some clipart, yuck, they want for a logo. So I think ok I can throw the jpg into AI and make the shape based on the original file. When I open the jpg in pshop it is the original size 879x854 but when I open the file in AI it is 1 inch by 1 inch in 100% screen view. What is the deal on that? Is there something I don't have set correctly? I don't want to make the screen 300% and jag the file that I am trying to remake if possible.

Thanks for the help!!

MindBender

Guru
The default for illustrator is to have it's output resolution set to 800dpi.

You could:

1. trace the object in photoshop
2. fake the resolution by upsampling in photoshop and importing to illustrator (blurry but not as pixelated)
3. just blow it up in illustrator by scaling the object or zooming in and trace it blurry, it won't affect your vector art.
4. change your output resolution (i believe, I always pick one of the first three)

Good luck.

Rantin Al

Guru
Check the jpg resolution Linda. I think you'll find it is set at a high figure. You can either change the resolution (don't resample) to 144 or 72 dpi and resave it, or just scale the small (hi-res) image you already have.

The 800 dpi refers to the vector rendering setting and won't affect placed images.

Tip: You can Place images instead of opening and either link or embed them. Delete them if you are just using it as a tracing guide.

That help?

Al

lindaw

Power User
Hey I changed the resolution and did not resample and that did it! Thanks for all the help!!! :} 8}

lindaw

Power User
This program is driving me nuts [doh] [doh]

Won't save my color even though I click the swatch and tell it to. If I leave a layer and try to go back and reactivate the path it won't, I am about 2 seconds away from moving back to pshop.... :(| :(|

I did finally get the darn thing to quit stroking the path but that is about my only forward movement so far }P :(|

pdog182

I think once you get the hang of Illustrator, it will make certain jobs easier. But I've never had the patience and always end up going back to old familiar photoshop. Basically, what i'm trying to say is "I feel your pain."

G

Linda, I played a bit with it too and the only time I couldn't change the colour was when the path wasn't active. But you told that your path was reactivated, so that leaves me clueless too [confused]

lindaw

Power User
Yeah I am confused for sure [confused] I can make the path on a new layer with the color I want but if I try to go back to the path and edit it I can't. I tried to control click the layer and no go. I can't save the color either. If I use the color picker I get a red line through the color box on the tool bar so I have to manually enter the color, click the new color box, tell it to save the color, give it a name and the next time I open AI it is gone. I am lost..... }P

Rantin Al

Guru
Linda, the colour is saved with the document, not within the application.
First thought for this evening, refer to my original pic and tick the global button. That should (?) do it.

I don't understand what is happening with the path non-selection and colour?
Have you assigned a stroke width to the path?

I'll experiment after, :B ;) and get back.

Al

lindaw

Power User
I think I told it no stroke because it added a black line that would not go away and I don't want a black line, just the color. I am going to tackle this darn program if it kills me. Gotta have the vector for the logo as it is a lot of geometric shapes and they want smooth. Thanks for your help!!

sfm

Guru
lindaw said:
Thanks!! I just got the proggie and now I have to make a logo so I am flying by the seat of my pants!

Thanks for the info!! 8}

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sounds like fun Linda........ can I join in? ha ha ha
with all of my ai's that I have done so far (which is not many I have to admit) ;\ I have always traced the image in ps........ to then export paths into illustrator which first up left me with a blank page [saywhat] but Wendy came to the rescue with that one for me [oops]

I still haven't had the time to explore into illustrator but this site when you have time may help http://www.sketchpad.net/illustrator.htm
sfm

lindaw

Power User
Wow now that is a thought, trace it in ps then take it into AI. I do like the freehand pen tool in pshop. Can't seem to find one of those in AI. But I am learning as I go. Thanks so much for the link Sue. Will go there ASAP! 8} 8}

Rantin Al

Guru
lindaw said:
I am going to tackle this darn program if it kills me.!

Atta girl Linda Go down fighting. ;)

Ok! Check in the main prefs, under General.

The first button: Use area select. Make sure that this is checked, otherwise you can only select by clicking directly on the path.

:B Next? :perfect: Al

lindaw

Power User
I guess my thing is if I make a path then add a new layer and see I need to edit the path on the other layer, how the heck can I do that? I have tried every pshop trick I know and AI isn't going for it. Once I leave a layer the path is set in stone. [doh]