What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator question

Lompoc42

I can't get this right and I have very limited illustrator knowledge....I'm trying to design a logo and I can't get the text to bend right. Does someone know how to get this effect without distorting the text all stupid? [confused] [confused] [doh] If so...Please let me know. I'm hating this at the moment...uggh. I just want the text to bend on top and no where else. I watched a guy do this in corel in probably 30 seconds and I've been trying and searching for hours. This is just plain silly :\
KOP

Hi Lompoc.

You need to select the "Text on Path' tool. It's under the fly-out for the standard "T" text tool. It's the "T" with a line under it.
Draw your circle path first.
Select the Text on Path tool.
Click the cursor on the circle.
Type the text.
Done.

Use the standard arrow tool to move the text around the path by clicking on the 'I-Beam' insertion point.
You can also flip the text to run on the inside of the path by dragging the same 'I-Beam' towards the other side of the path.

Al

Thanks for replying Rantin, but I'm affraid you misunderstood the question, or perhaps, and more likely, I asked it wrong. :D Ok, I want the text to look exactly the way it does now, except without the strange distortion below the circle. The circle is a place holder for what will be a globe. I want to the top of the text to curve only, not the the bottom as well, otherwise I'd have been on my way hours ago. In other words I'd like the top of the text to conform with the bottom of the circle with the bottom of the text staying as normal. I've been searching for an example for a long time also but cannot find one, yet I've seen it in 1000000 different places. uggh. Thanks anyway Rantin! :) Much appreciated
KOP

You need the "Envelope Distort"

Convert the text to outlines. (Type > Create Outlines)

Select the outlined text.

Menu > Object > Envelope Distort >Make with Mesh.

The dialogue will allow you to specify the number of H & V number for the mesh.

Use the white Arrow tool to select points on the mesh and jiggle away till your hearts content.

Al

I tried playing with all the various envelope commands and had no success. The problem is that it distorts the stems of the letter which is no good. Oh well, I've given up... :( :(| 3[

KOP

It should work if you use enough grids in the mesh.

Select multiple points and move them as a group.

Tidy up the text paths individually.

Patience ;)

Al

Back