What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image broken into seperate photo elements...

shacky

Hi all,
I've been seeing a design within web sites lately that uses what seem like many photo shapes next to each other to make a whole photo like this page, at the top -->http://www.russellbrown.com/ADIMVI/main.html I would love to know how to easily do with from within photoshop.. I was thinking of trying to just make transparent boxes, but it isn't turning out too well..

Shacky

docilebob

Power User
HI.
It looks to me as though that`s 5 photos laid over one another with drop shadows.

~shrugs~

Maybe this will help ?

namvet

Power User
Shacky .. firstly, welcome ... had a look at that site ... I have put a pic below which gives the same results, using Photoshop, you were looking for ... to get the result below I copied the background (original image) several times (switch off the 'eyes' on all but the layer you want to work on) ... on each of these 'layers' I used the rectangular Marque tool to select the part of the image I wanted .. then select, inverse, delete ... now I have only the part of the pic I want in that layer ... now go to edit, stroke (I used six pixels) and you have a colour border around your pic .... now turn on the 'eye' of your next layer and repeat the process ..... and repeat on each layer til finished .... any probs just post here 'cos there's heaps of help at this board ... :perfect:

namvet

Power User
... sorry db didn't see your post .. you must have done it while I was compiling my reply :D ... btw, I never did manage to get Dubya's border method quite right :) .. but I learned alot from that thread .. 'twas good to see it again :}
Shacky .. one other thing .. move the layers up and down (in the layers pallette) 'til you have the images siting on top of another .. refer pic below

wbiss

Guru
Welcome aboard shacky! :)

That's a cool effect B7 and Ian (namvet) you did a great job explaining it! :perfect:

Here's a tutorial for this "joiner effect" http://www.digital-creativity.org.uk/tutorials/tutorial_23.html that might be of some help to you too, shacky!

tranquil222: Hey ive pasted a couple panoramas together and have been meaning to do a mini-tute on how to do it. I'll keep you posted.
;) That would be great tranquil222!

shacky

Thank you all for the replies :) I'm going to make some attempts, and I'll let you know how it turns out :)

:perfect:

tranquil222

Power User
Hey ill tell you how i do them some time tonight...its pretty easy. What kind of images are you working with? It is a lot harder to do it with images with a lot of straight lines, but with scenic pictures, its a breeze. Ill keep up(as cimmic would say);)

shacky

Okie,
I am trying namvet's way and after I detele the inverse selection, add the border and select the second layer to work with, I can't delete anything.. would photoshop want me to do something else w/the first layer before moving on? hmm..

shacky

lol tranquil,
I'm working (at the moment) with my new car's pics... I've got a nifty new saturn ION quad coupe, and am making an attempt at this for my web site :)

namvet

Power User
shacky .. I think the prob is that you are 'working' on your active image layer (the one that's highlighted in the layers pallette) and you have another image layer 'switched on' ... so when you select, inverse, delete the other image still shows through and it looks like nothing has happened ... make sure that the 'eye' on the left of your layer (in layer pallette) is swiched off on all full image layers except the one you are working on (put cursor on 'eye' and left click) .... just in case I have misunderstood the problem below image may help more ... let us know how you do :perfect:

shacky

Eurika! I must have not been selecting the layers correctlu - I am still trying to get my left side of the brain to talk to the right side, when it comes to layers :D I made a test image at www.mikes-website.com/ion.html and am going to work on another more streamlined version... Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it VERY much..

wbiss

Guru
Very nice job shacky! :perfect: :perfect:

Oooooh....Aaaaaah.... That looks awesome Ammar! :} :}

Yutosi

Power User
Thanks friends.
For those who's intersted:
Breake the image into slices
Each slice on a separate layer
Apply a layer mask
Apply gradient onthe mask
Bring layers near to each other
and apply various colors to each slice.

Welcome to you :)

Ammar

namvet

Power User
shacky .. well done ... nice wheels :) ... glad to be of help .. now if you could remove the buildings from the pic ..... :D :D
shaky wrote:
I am still trying to get my left side of the brain to talk to the right side, when it comes to layers
... I think the left side of my brain has decided the right side doesn't exist!! :rofl: :rofl:
Ammaro that is way cool ... gonna have to play with that method .... :D :D ... thanks for posting it :perfect:

wbiss

Guru
B7 Ammar! Thanks for sharing your technique! :perfect: