What's new

Image flattening problems

RichardC

Hi again folks,
New problem here......I cannot change my psd image to a tif, flatten or merge layers without losing some of the adjustment layer effects. I?m using PS6.
Is there any way around this?
RC

jonbalza

Hmmm... I bet you are in CMYK mode. If so, convert to RGB, then flatten. But, even then you may end up with some changes in the conversion process - the only way to really avoid that is to start in RGB.
(edit: ehh... never mind... I may be way off with that now that I've tested it a bit.)

If that fails, you could make a new layer at the very top of the layer stack, and then make a merged copy (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E for windows). That might get you a good representation.

(Those are the shortcuts, this is a very large topic. If they don't work, try working your way through this: http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_2.html . Look especially at the section on conversion options. You may also wish to check out the book "Real World Photoshop" that has some good info on color management.)

RichardC

[excited] Thank you Jon.....I?ve been in RGB and I tried the merged layer at the top of the stack trick and it?s still no good. I appreciate the link and I have it saved for a later time when I have more time and patience (color management gives me a headache).
In the meantime I found a fix.
I saved my adjustments into a folder with the image file and deleted all my adjustment layers. Then I loaded them one at a time into the background directly (all but color balance since it doesn?t have the ?save? and ?load? options). I wrote that one down on paper.....(remember paper?)
Worked great!
Thanks again.........RC
:D

jonbalza

Richard, I know you figured a way around it, but earlier today it occurred to me that I forgot to mention one thing to try:

Make sure when you are flattening, you are viewing the image at 100% (Actual size). Otherwise, anything you see on screen is an approximation, and can make it look like the image is changing.

Sorry about that.