What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image Placement and layering..

TechMansoor

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to properly layer an image for the best effect.

For example, I have my guy here:

Russell.jpg

I'd like to put our logo literally behind him to take the place of the door and imagery in the background of his picture. Here is the logo:
logowhitebg.gif
I know I could do a combiation of the magic tool/cut tool and erasing to get the background imagery out the way but is there a shorter/better way to get the logo behind just his face,neck and shoulders???

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Thanks a bunch!!

Attachments

• slogo.gif
    slogo.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 17

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey TM, you have the right technique. Your going to have to remove the background. I do not suggest using any tool that erases or cuts. Use a layer mask.

Here's a quick masking job on a layer mask.

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 9.43.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 9.43.37 PM.png

TechMansoor

omg..this is exactly what i wanted!! wow!! man this community is the best..i honestly have never been part of a better more responsive community..thanks a bunch..so what do I need to do learn how to do this exactly..its called layer masking?

So you did no cutting what so ever? No magic tool or cutting tools at all?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
'"So you did no cutting what so ever? No magic tool or cutting tools at all?"

None. I only used the Brush Tool on the layer mask.

Here's a good video on layer masks:

Watch this and see if you understand layer masks a little better.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are many ways to make a selection. Once you have made a selection, you add the selection to the layer mask.

Here's another quick video explaining the selection tools.