What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Just Me..? #7 CC 2015.5.1 Layer Thumbnail

MrToM

Guru
I'll not say how I got into this situation (yet)....suffice to say I shouldn't be able to....right?
(And no, it's not been 'shopped' either!)

Check out the layer thumbnail.

no_thumb_image_MT_01.png

More bugs in CC 2015.5.1....?

(Note that's a question, not a request)

So....is it just me?
Can anyone else replicate this amazing phenonem, femonemo, phfmneome.....issue?

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
:eek: Really?

The aftermath of Halloween?

360 V instead of 220 V?

You know it's ADOBE Photoshop do you Tom?

MrToM

Guru
Sorry Eggy, but out of the four things you've written could you possibly just explain the first one, the last one and the two in the middle please?

I understand the rest.

Thanks.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thats is like trying to explain the meaning of life...

No seriously, saving and re-open the file, same result?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
This is what I get

Untitled-1.jpg

I tried several times but couldn't trigger that bug.

gedstar

Guru
I can't test this out until I get home this evening as I don't have CC2015.5.1 in work so will report back later
Probably a silly question but have you tried resetting PS preferences?

MrToM

Guru
...Probably a silly question but have you tried resetting PS preferences?
LOL...I'm not even going to entertain that suggestion!

(Or did I just do that?) :rofl:

Its not a pref issue, its a workflow issue that Adobe forced upon us that now doesn't work.

Biggest clue:
VISIBLE in CS5!

I'll do some more testing myself on as many versions as I can get running and await your results.

Thanks both for your help so far.....I know I'm not making it easy but I'd rather people try rather than just copy me....makes for a better test.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks for checking it out Ged but you may be a little off in your workflow.

If you look at my initial post you'll see that I have a 128 Red Fill layer, above which is a rectangular "Shape".

Not only is the "Shape" the wrong way round, (It shouldn't be the colour of the fill layer underneath), but it also doesn't show in the thumbnail.

The main thing is the apparently 'blank' thumbnail....the switched colours I know about.

Shouldn't there be at least 'something' in the thumbnail?

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Eggy

Nearly there!

Your "shape" is way too big though, it's the size of the canvas!
Make that smaller and then see if you can get to the state I arrived at.

Another clue for those playing at home...
What exactly IS a 'Shape' layer?

Read that with the first clue I gave you.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...I'm a little lost...
Sorry, I know I'm not making this easy but I really want people to think about it rather than just copy me.

As Eggy, you are off to the right start....but what would now do to get to the stage as in my initial image?

(Another clue....you need one more 'shape' layer)

My clues should be enough for you to work out what 'I' did next....and why the result is reversed although it doesn't explain why the thumbnail is empty.

Check out the clues again.....what exactly IS a 'shape' layer......then do 'something' with those 'shape' layers.

I'll reveal all soon....honest, but for now just see if you can work it out.....see if you can find what we could see before, CS5 and earlier, but thanks to the idiots, sorry, software engineers at Adobe......not anymore.

Regards.
MrToM.

PS...there is also something 'odd' in my first image....anyone spot it? :rofl:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Ah, hats of to you MrTom. Very clever!
I'm in bed on my tablet so I can't fully explain.

Looking at the shape window I've seen the shift of the x and y axis of the rectangle towards the botton right hiding the green rectangle in the thumbnail in the layers panel behind the rectangle symbol!

I'll explain further tomorrow on my pc.

MrToM

Guru
...I'm in bed on my tablet so I can't fully explain...
Too much info there I think!

I'm not trying to trick anyone here, this is a genuine process in my workflow which has yielded an empty thumbnail...something which I didn't expect.

I can see what you mean about shifting the shape but to be honest the shape could be square and bang in the center of the canvas....makes no difference the outcome is the same....a blank thumbnail.

Sleep on this.....when I ask "What IS a 'shape' layer..." I mean exactly that....is it an 'area' of coloured pixels on that layer?

Ged looks like to have done part of it and got it reversed.....but reversed 'what' exactly?

That should send you to sleep quicker than anything.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...Clicked on this icon...
LOL.....Fair enough.

Can you think of another way?

I know this is getting tedious but it just shows how a tiny change in the UI can really screw things up.....if it was like it was back in the CS5 days you'd have got it a long time ago.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Well I'll have to leave till tomorrow, you mention CS5 I only started using PS in late PS6

That should send you to sleep quicker than anything.
Nope that will definitely be the beer :biglaff:

Last edited: