What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to divide shapes? If yes, how?

reset5

Hello,

Is it possible to divide shape into two or three parts? Because sometimes i create outer borders for window and then i need to expand shape vertically, so i want to divide shape into 3 parts and stretch only one part.

Here's example, i want to divide this shape into two:

asd.jpg

Please post an image to our server instead of a link. Images are preserved on our server, links on other servers not necessarily.

Last edited:
Hey Reset5

Could you please upload the image to our server, it helps protect the intergrity of the images for future reference, as sometimes linked images can be removed, resulting in a broken link for anyone wishing to view the thread in the future. Already i'm having trouble with it as I get a 404 trying to use it.

you can upload an image to PSG by clicking on this button: button.jpg and choosing the file from your computer. It's really simple! and you don't need a certain post count to do it! :D

All the best!

Zee

Hi Reset5

It wasn't clear if you were referring to the formal "Shape Layer" in PS or the generic term for the specific rectangular object which you are ready to Transform on its own Layer.
A few more details would go a long way.

If this is an object on its own Layer and you want to divide it in half to have independent control, why not select one half and cut that piece to its own Layer in PS?

I may not understand your question totally yet that would be the quickest way if your are cutting a raster object in two.

Hi Reset5

It wasn't clear if you were referring to the formal "Shape Layer" in PS or the generic term for the specific rectangular object which you are ready to Transform on its own Layer.
A few more details would go a long way.

If this is an object on its own Layer and you want to divide it in half to have independent control, why not select one half and cut that piece to its own Layer in PS?

I may not understand your question totally yet that would be the quickest way if your are cutting a raster object in two.
Its an shape drawed with pen tool, so its specific rectangular object. I dont want to rasterize it because i might have to transform it couple of times or increase its resolution. It would be really easy to divide it after rasterizing.

First one is not about objects, as they rasterize them before splitting.

Second thread is ok, i was doing it that way, but it makes transforming shape quite annoying, because it transforms subtracting shape too, so when expanding object vertically, it moved out of its position.

trans.png

Hi reset5 - I don't know of a shortcut that with a single command you can split one path into two separate paths in PS. Yet here is the approach I would take

- Just create two paths to begin with butted up against each other or
- If you really need to split a single path into two paths here is what I would do
- Have the path in as a Vector Mask
- Duplicate the Layer
- Change the path in each separate vector mask to the size you want
- Here is a link on how to do such manipulations: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/vector-masks-in-photoshop/

Using the approaches in the above link it is pretty straightforward to cut a path in two similar to how a selection could be cut in two.

After all that I would take each Layer and turn it into a Smart Object. That way, transformations will happen at the boundaries where the vector mask were located and doing several transformations one after another has not additional degradation to the underlying pixels because they are recalculated fresh from wtihin the Smart Ojbect

Without knowing more details of your workflow, providing more details on step by step might not be applicable so I will stop here.

Hope this helps.

I'd do it like this...
(The description sounds far worse....the video simplifies it considerably)

1. Create a guide where you want to split the shape.
2. Select the 'Pen' tool.
3. ADD points on the path either side of the guide and on each edge.(4 in total)
4. Select a 'Segment' between two points using the 'Direct Selection' tool and delete it using your keyboard 'delete' key.
5. Repeat for the other side.
6. Select the 'Pen' tool again and 'close' each half of the shape.
7. Select the 'Convert Point' tool, (Shortcut - Hold 'Alt'), and convert each new point to a 'corner'....just click each point once.
8. Create two new guides, one over each edge.
9. Select the 'Direct Selection' tool again and select and move each point to snap to the guides. Have 'snaps' turned on.

[video=youtube_share;yFED6DdKPNQ]http://youtu.be/yFED6DdKPNQ&rel=0[/video]

Regards.
MrTom.

Back