What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to paste a selection along a line?

phtshp

Currently when I want to expand a selection, I paste it multiple times. Is there a way to paste a selection along a line? For example, in the image below, could I copy the gradient on the left and paste it down in one long line like on the right?
example.jpg

Just curious as to why you want to do it that way? If the desired outcome is a large rectangle with a gradient, you could just draw a large rectangle & apply a gradient to it. The benefit to that is if you want to move it, you just have 1 shape instead of a row of smaller ones.

Just clarify that having all the smaller shapes in a line is essential or not.

You could use Free Transform Step & Repeat I suppose, which would streamline the process, but not by much, and you'd still have a bunch of layers to flatten.

Hey, how about using the Array function in Trevor Morris's Dmonzon Tools scrip? That's a really useful add on panel - especially the array feature.

http://dmonzon.com/freebies/12-photoshop-tools-cs6/

Works in CC as well.

[EDIT] It looks like this. Well it does on my system. I just have it as a fly out on the little strip of panels that I have on my main monitor

Dmonzon Tools.JPG

Last edited:
No, you can't "paste it down" but you can transform it after it's been copied and pasted.

Use the transform function (command + T or EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM), grab the lower handle and drag.

Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 7.26.14 AM.png

Just curious as to why you want to do it that way? If the desired outcome is a large rectangle with a gradient, you could just draw a large rectangle & apply a gradient to it. The benefit to that is if you want to move it, you just have 1 shape instead of a row of smaller ones.

Just clarify that having all the smaller shapes in a line is essential or not.

Here's another picture to illustrate how I would use it. Using a horizontal slither of a piece of the jar that doesn't have any label on it, I would like to be able to paste down in order to remove the label.

example2.jpg

No, you can't "paste it down" but you can transform it after it's been copied and pasted.

Use the transform function (command + T or EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM), grab the lower handle and drag.

Yes, that will do it. Thank you.

IanSam, I thought about this later and wondered why on earth I was over complicating it. Free Transform is the obvious way to do it.

Use your Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a selection across the jar.
Command + J to duplicate to it's own layer.
Select the sliver layer, command + T to transform.

Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 8.52.07 AM.png

Drag the lower handle towards the bottom until the label is covered.
As you can see, you will have to do some blending now.

Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 8.52.52 AM.png

Back