What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any way to unmerge 2 images?

markor2

I'm a beginner in photoshop. I just learned how to merge 2 photos together.

I attached the image I created

If I didn't have the original photos, how would I be able to un-merge these 2 photos and only get the faded out butterflies?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Z8eV4jn.jpg

If you have not closed the image and Photoshop, you can back up through your history of edits with Cmd+Z (Cntl+Z for PCs).
If not the case, unless the starting images are precious for some reason, it would be better to start over with new images that you find from online image sources.
Just my opinion of course
John Wheeler

Hello and welcome to PSG.

The image example you posted above is in JPG format. You can not separate/un-merge the two images in this format as they were before they were saved as a JPG. You would have had to have saved the file as a PSD file in order to keep the layers/images separate. This would also depend on how you manage your layers in the PSD file............if you merged the two images and closed the document, then you would have no means of separating the two even if you had the PSD file. You need to adopt techniques of working non-destructively.

Should it be that necessary, you can extract the butterflies to a new layer.

Butterflies.jpg

Back