What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Is This Photo Repairable?

It would take quite a bit of work to recover this image yet possible.
However, the best shot at recovery would be if you have the original negative and it is scanned at 16 bit depth and save as a PNG or TIFF (i.e. without the lossey compression of JPEG). The existing image has quite a bit of noise and the image signal is small.
Below is an example from the buildings near the top with tone adjustment and then going through some Denoise software (which took out too much detail).

So it all depends on the desired end result and what you can provide as a starting point.
You might have better luck on the Paid forum instead of the free forum. Yet you have to consider, if you get 5 people doing a ton of work all competing with each other (only 1 gets paid), for me that is not too enticing yet you never know.
John Wheeler

Map-117-70-S1-0043-small section.jpg

It would take quite a bit of work to recover this image yet possible.
However, the best shot at recovery would be if you have the original negative and it is scanned at 16 bit depth and save as a PNG or TIFF (i.e. without the lossey compression of JPEG). The existing image has quite a bit of noise and the image signal is small.
Below is an example from the buildings near the top with tone adjustment and then going through some Denoise software (which took out too much detail).

So it all depends on the desired end result and what you can provide as a starting point.
You might have better luck on the Paid forum instead of the free forum. Yet you have to consider, if you get 5 people doing a ton of work all competing with each other (only 1 gets paid), for me that is not too enticing yet you never know.
John Wheeler

View attachment 132350
This file is from the original negative scanned first as a Tiff , but not able to download a tiff file so I changed it to jpeg and looking to make a 9x14 print

Back