What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this photoshop related?

OmegaDev

Hey,

I've been using Photoshop for awhile now, but I'm running into some troubles. The problem is I can't tell if it's Photoshop, other software, or pc related.

If I take the paint brush tool and paint a simple circle and save it as png to keep the transparent background it saves alright. The image in the thumbnail on desktop clearly shows my circle, but when I open it in different image viewing software (fcheck and quicktime image viewer) I see a square.

If I open the image back up in photoshop, or even paint, it's still a circle..

I'm trying to use the final product on a mesh in Unity (originated as spoke but have been testing to solve my problems with simple shapes), but in unity this circle also looks like a square..

do you guys think there's something going wrong with the png when I save...or are the issues with my image viewing software, and unity, that might quite possible have it's own certain way of dealing with Pngs?

OmegaDev

For a little extra info if I load a picture of myself onto the canvas and save it the image of myself isn't distorted. It's only when I try to save and image that's been painted with a brush that I get these weird things.

I really have no idea what's going on here.

OmegaDev

screen shot one.png

That's a thumbnail of one of my testing images..

screen shot 2.png

That's what the png looks like in image viewing software...

screen shot 3.png

and that's what the file looks like when I load it back into photoshop via right click open with..

I get the weird blocky effect when viewing any image painted with the brush, or shapes tools. That's in image viewing software..

Same thing happens in Unity. I'm just wondering if you guys know if this looks like a Photoshop saving problem..

or if it's just related to my image viewing software, pc, or unity in any given order, haha.

OmegaDev

I just wanted to check in and let you guys know that this has been solved, and it's not a PS problem.

There's something going on with my image viewing softwares in the way that it views pngs of Photoshop brushed images. It's very strange and new. It may be pc related. The problems I was having in Unity was not applying a shader to the mesh before applying the material.

hopefully I didn't have anyone like :banghead: trying to figure that out.

sorry for any inconvenience. Safe to say a mod can delete this, or something.

thanks,
Jb.

:confused:

Steve

Retired Administrator
Hi OmegaDev.

I wish I spotted your message earlier.
I've had the same issues with png file with clear backgrounds in some viewers and on some web sites.
I don't know why it happens some times and not other times.

Any way I'm glad you worked it out and welcome to PSG