What's new

Issue with adjustment layers

thundchew

Hello
I am rather new to PS. I follow a How-To and I have one issue:
The goal of the tutorial is to adjust only parts of the image. Therefore I use the magnetic lasso tool.
After I selected the area, in the top-menu I choose "New adjustment layer" and then, for example, I select "Levels"
After I adjusted levels, I want to adjust curves in the same area. Now comes the issue. How do I do that without using the lasso tool again to select the same area?
This is not mentioned in the tutorial. The only option I found is "Duplicate Layer" but this seems to double the effect I made with Levels.
I hope this is understandable. I want to add another adjustment on top of the previous, in the same area, without having to manually select the area again.
This seems pretty basic but I can't figure it out.
Thank you very much in advance!

hawkeye

Guru
If you are using an adjustment layer, it will create a mask based on the active selection. To repeat the selection, first crtl+click the mask existing, now add your second adjustment layer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This seems to be a popular question here lately.

Edit: I was working on this when hawkeye replied.

You make a selection of an area.....
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 10.48.34 AM.png

Add a "Levels" adjustment layer. (Lets say I brighten the white area)
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 10.49.14 AM.png

Now you want to add a new adjustment layer, so at this point you can do two things.

1. You can simply Cmd/Cntrl + click the existing "Levels" adjustment layers-layer mask to re-acquire the selection, then add the new adjustment layer.

2. You can add the new (in my example) Hue & Sat adjustment layer, then hold Option/Alt and drag and drop the layer mask from the "Levels" adjustment layers-layer mask to the new adjustment layer.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 10.58.42 AM.png

Now lets add a new color to the white area with the new H&S adj layer..
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.00.51 AM.png

thundchew

Thank you for the answers and hints! This makes my life much easier. In the future I will search for existing threads first