What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with adjustment layers

thundchew

Hello
I am rather new to PS. I follow a How-To and I have one issue:
The goal of the tutorial is to adjust only parts of the image. Therefore I use the magnetic lasso tool.
After I selected the area, in the top-menu I choose "New adjustment layer" and then, for example, I select "Levels"
After I adjusted levels, I want to adjust curves in the same area. Now comes the issue. How do I do that without using the lasso tool again to select the same area?
This is not mentioned in the tutorial. The only option I found is "Duplicate Layer" but this seems to double the effect I made with Levels.
I hope this is understandable. I want to add another adjustment on top of the previous, in the same area, without having to manually select the area again.
This seems pretty basic but I can't figure it out.
Thank you very much in advance!

If you are using an adjustment layer, it will create a mask based on the active selection. To repeat the selection, first crtl+click the mask existing, now add your second adjustment layer.

This seems to be a popular question here lately.

Edit: I was working on this when hawkeye replied.

You make a selection of an area.....
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 10.48.34 AM.png

Add a "Levels" adjustment layer. (Lets say I brighten the white area)
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 10.49.14 AM.png

Now you want to add a new adjustment layer, so at this point you can do two things.

1. You can simply Cmd/Cntrl + click the existing "Levels" adjustment layers-layer mask to re-acquire the selection, then add the new adjustment layer.

2. You can add the new (in my example) Hue & Sat adjustment layer, then hold Option/Alt and drag and drop the layer mask from the "Levels" adjustment layers-layer mask to the new adjustment layer.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 10.58.42 AM.png

Now lets add a new color to the white area with the new H&S adj layer..
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.00.51 AM.png

Thank you for the answers and hints! This makes my life much easier. In the future I will search for existing threads first

Back