What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with Auto-Blend Layers

polarwoc

Guru
I refer to this thread and used the first and last pics. Earlier, when I tried following this video tutorial, it all worked fine. But when I apply it here, it results in this:
1.png
Obviously, the blending did not happen as expected. I tried using "Panorama" as well as "Stacked Layers" for "Blend Methods" optioin in Auto-Blend Layers.
There is another tutorial from BlueLightningTV that describes a similar method. It just won't work on my system. Any idea what could have gone wrong? I use Photoshop CC 2017 V 19.0

The auto blend function doesn't work well with a layer mask as in your Background copy layer nor in layer 1 copy!
- Select your face and drag it to your statue image, reduce opacity to adjust the position. Do NOT use a layer mask to adjust the face. This is a rare occasion you'll need to use the eraser tool set to 100% hardness!
- Press and hold ctrl and click on the face and when the marching ants appear use modify/contract and use at least 5 px.(depending on the image)
- Make the statue layer active and press del to delete the contracted face part from the statue layer.
- Select both layers and use auto blend...

Thanks for the reply, @Eggy
The auto blend function doesn't work well with a layer mask as in your Background copy layer nor in layer 1 copy!
I have followed the steps you described to the letter. I show how my layers look like just one step before choosing the Auto-Blend Layers option. Only Layers "Background Copy" and "Layer 1 Copy" are visible and selected. The Mask on "Layer 1 Copy" appeared after Ok is selected in Auto-Blend Layers window. The 4 steps seen in History window after Auto-Blend Layers happened automatically and were triggered by Auto-Blend Layers.
2.png

On top of the two selected files (Background copy and Layer 1 copy) I don't see the merged layer
Also I didn't realised the used pictures were small so I used modify/contract = 2 px

Untitled-1.jpg

(I used George Clooney's face)

And I do realise that the layer masks are coming automaticly...so my mistake...
I do these things on auto pilot and without looking at my layer panel...

On top of the two selected files (Background copy and Layer 1 copy) I don't see the merged layer
Post 1 above shows my Merged layer because it is a screenshot after Auto-Blend is applied, while Post 4 above shows screenshot before Auto-Blend is applied.

Your Auto-Blend came out as expected and works well. This is my result immediately after applying Auto-Blend:
3.png
Definitely, I am doing something wrong.

I'm baffled...
I can' explain it...
This stuff was the first thing I learned when starting PS...

Just another attempt, when making the selection on the face using the lasso tool, did you applied 'feathering' + amount of pixels on it?
Untitled-1.jpg

because feathering 3 px or more and contracting 2 px would make a blend impossible...

I'm still puzzled.:unsure:

Fantastic troubleshooting, @Eggy! You are a master!
Thank you very much. I usually always have a 3 Px min feather while using the Lasso tool. That feathering was the reason why I was getting a resulting double selection lines in the final output. Once I changed it to 0 Px feathering on Lasso tool, I got the expected result.

This solves the mystery that had been troubling me for days. Thanks again.

@HuckinFell You have attempted a similar Thanos image before over here and did a great job on it. Mind sharing how you did it?

Hey @polarwoc :)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - I've had friends staying with me this weekend and haven't been near a computer!

I'm afraid that (as before) my technique is so free-hand and amateur that I would struggle to describe my process (and that's a generous word for the steps I take!!!).

Also, I work in GIMP so any steps I do take are unlikely to translate well to PS.

Back