What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JPG format

graphicient

Hello!!!

I cannot save an image as JPG in Photoshop (CS3 and CS4). The Photoshop show me the message that the file is in use or left open, but nothing of these two 'opinions' happen....

SeniorS

Guru
Well it really shouldn't but it happens sometime to me neither.
Usually it Indesign problem, image clicked on then doing Edit Image, sometimes somehow (for some eps files) "capture" image (but it shouldn't). And sometimes at jpg's file i got "left open" message for some other reason. Didn't find why, wasn't searching too long too, because it isn't big problem.
My suspicions is Bridge "doing" some background work on them or system (don't know, building thumbnail for example). Happens rare, lets say 1 to 500 jpgs. Simple count to 5 and then save, usually something that kept doing that file are finished and released it. If its Indesign then just click, make object "active", on other picture then save.

graphicient

Thank you :)

I will try to save as a jpg after doing some actions again... The only way to do it now is to save as jpg for web or mobile... Do you think that this will cause damage to my file (if I want an image for example 300 dpi and 40x40 cm)?

SeniorS

Guru
I'm not using that "Save for web" much. But if you choose at options Maximum and Quality 100% result should be as origin.
Only thing that i didn't find is how control color mode (PS3). It comes out RGB even if origin is CMYK. If you use RGB then you got no problems.
But if that happens often then it's strange anyway.
Maybe it is a file system problem then. If your file is on remote server and server have some specific utilities running on it that could couse such fault.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Well you want to find a solution to this problem, you shouldn't need to use a work around.
Bridge "shouldn't" be doing anything to the image that I'm aware of, and you're not actually "opening" the file in PS, you're "loading" it into memory.

You should be able to "Load" an image in PS and delete the original JPG without a problem.
Some other program is opening or accessing that image which is why you can't save to the original file name.
You should find out what other imaging programs are running when this happens.

As for "Save As", you didn't reply yet if that worked for you but it's what you should be doing for all your work.
Never every overwrite your original image, especially when it's a JPG, always save to a new name.

Paul

Former Member
You will need to be in 8 bit per channel mode, and the image will have to be flattened (otherwise you will get save as copy dialog, which will result in it being flattened). The size clearly is not an issue, nor is the CMYK mode image. Have you tried flattening and making sure the image is 8 bpc?

Steve

Retired Administrator
You will need to be in 8 bit per channel mode, and the image will have to be flattened (otherwise you will get save as copy dialog, which will result in it being flattened). The size clearly is not an issue, nor is the CMYK mode image. Have you tried flattening and making sure the image is 8 bpc?

That shouldn't make a difference.
Saving a layered image as a JPG automatically flattens the saved file and it should save just fine if the mode is 8bit or 16bit.

SeniorS

Guru
Agree with Steve again, 8 or 16bit no matter, PS don't get chance to start "writing" data because file system forbid it so that's shouldn't be nothing wrong with actual image information.
Personally i blame it to file system and mystical background process or some bug. And sometimes there is good reason why admins don't allow users install softs by their own :)

Paul

Former Member
It's a glitch within the program itself, as it happened before?
I have had the whole screen freeze and a info box pop up saying adobe encountered a problem and as shut down? My system still works great - glitches are the bain of the computer user i feel.

Steve

Retired Administrator

Steve

Retired Administrator