What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kapytal glass tile effect help

SylkRode

Not really a "newbie," but I'd like a bit of help.

A few years ago, I stumbled across a glass tile used as an avatar and I've been wondering how I might go about creating it via a style. I've gotten close using a style from the pack listed below as a starting point, but I'm still not quite there. I'd appreciate any tips you might have to bridge that gap. I'm not necessarily interested in getting the border or the drop shadow exact; just the glass effect itself - although, I'd be glad to have them, anyway.

Kapytal's avatar http://sta.sh/023ggvvoj1eb
My work so far http://sta.sh/0212jf7o9zkz
Style pack referenced http://fav.me/d6498iy
Background tile pattern http://fav.me/d3gic1i

MrToM

Guru
Not sure what you mean by this.

As I understand it you want to create a style that produces a similar result to the image you linked to....but...

1. You don't want to know about the border....ok, no problem.
2. You don't want to know about the dropshadow....ok, no problem either.

So....that leaves.... er.....what exactly?

Styles are applied to existing pixels on a layer. The image you linked to only has two 'fx' applied to it, the border and the dropshadow, and you've no interest in either of them.

I'm failing to see what else you want to do or exactly what it is you are having a problem with.

Regards.
MrToM.

SylkRode

okay, the new link is http://sta.sh/01rvs3rkes8h .
The style I'm looking to achieve is the gradated glass effect. I would like to get the whole effect, that comment about the border and drop shadow not being as important was more concerning my work so far rather than the style itself.
As you can see, my working style is represented in my avatar.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Well.....whats wrong with that?

Looks ok to me.....apart from it looks like two buttons, not one.

I didn't really do any different but here is what I came up with...

View attachment MrToM_Button.asl

I'm still unsure as to what it is you are having trouble with....you seem to have it to me.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

SylkRode

Well, I guess until I can contact the guy who made it, it will never be precise... I was just hoping there was some master genius who could cough up a perfect reproduction. I guess I'm being a bit too anal.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Well, I guess until I can contact the guy who made it, it will never be precise... I was just hoping there was some master genius who could cough up a perfect reproduction. I guess I'm being a bit too anal.

You're re-creation looks spot on except that you've added a drop shadow and a checkerboard pattern fill.

It will be helpful for us to know what you made you say - "but I'm still not quite there". Point out the small (or big) details - what you don't like with what you did.

Only then can we see what you're not happy about and help you "fix" it......

SylkRode

The checkerboard pattern is a background, not a fill; I did provide the PSD. I just did that to provide ... well, a background.

My main displeasure is with the gradient, which isn't quite right - plus I'm thinking I might need to put the opacity in via the gradient itself rather than layer fill. But my main issue is the gradient. The stroke is okay, and I don't much mind the drop shadow not being exact.

MrToM

Guru
...The checkerboard pattern is a background, not a fill...
Well using the default checkerboard that denotes transparency is very misleading.
Anyone with any experience in photoshop would automatically assume that a checkerboard pattern like that is denoting transparency.
No-one can be blamed for thinking anything other.
This is a very BAD choice on your behalf.

...I did provide the PSD. I just did that to provide ... well, a background...
And looking at it as it is on the page you linked to would suggest that its exactly what you want.
The deception of using an identical 'checkerboard' pattern as Photoshop uses for denoting transparency works....it had me fooled and I guess everybody else that looked at that page.
NOT very helpful.

...My main displeasure is with the gradient, which isn't quite right - plus I'm thinking I might need to put the opacity in via the gradient itself rather than layer fill...
So what's stopping you changing it?
Oh, and BTW...that is exactly what I did in the 'Style' I created for you....did you even look at it?

...But my main issue is the gradient...
Yeah, you did mention it.

...The stroke is okay, and I don't much mind the drop shadow not being exact.
You've said that before too.

What I don't understand is why you keep telling us you're not happy with it but never explain why.

You've also not said what was wrong with the 'Style' I sent you which does exactly what you want....and allows you to edit it to whatever you want.....and it doesn't have a 'checkerboard' pattern effect neither.

You can bleat all you want that its not right, but its not very productive in finding yet another solution for you if you don't say what's wrong with those already provided.

Regards.
MrToM.