What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest Update: Brush Size/Color No Longer Transfers Between Windows?

ptolemy18

Hi everyone,

Since the latest Photoshop update, I've noticed that brush settings (color, brush size and selected brush) seem not to transfer across different open windows/documents.

Previously, in all the other versions of Photoshop I can remember using for 10+ years, the brush color/size/type was consistent across documents: if I changed the brush to a 30px black round brush, it stayed that way in any window I went to. This was really convenient, since for "palettes" I always keep a separate document open and use the eyedropper to select colors from that palette and transfer it to the main document I'm working on. As far as I can tell, this doesn't work anymore, the color only affects the brush in the 'palette' document!.... :(

I'm hoping there *must* be a way to switch back to the "old way", but I couldn't find anything in the Preferences menu. Is there any way to make things the way they used to be in previous versions, i.e., with a consistent brush across different open windows? It's really messing with my workflow!!

Many thanks,

Jason

P.S. This is my first time posting here. I've been asking artist friends on social media, but no one seems to know the answer, and I figured I'd find some super smart Photoshop experts here...!

Hey Jason.

Since the latest Photoshop update,
What version are you now running?

I'm still using CC 2018 19.1.6 because it has no bugs and is stable and reliable. The standard Brush Tool (not a preset) still works the way you describe across documents. The brush size and color remain the same no matter which document you're working with.

Ps CC 2019 20.0.0 and up are too buggy for my taste. Has anyone else noticed this Brush Tool change?

My prior post should probably be deleted as it is incorrect/misleading for present/future readers.

I did use CC 2019 2.04 and tried an experiment. At first, with regular brushes with no captured brush size in the preset, the brush and size carried over from window to window.
However, when I created a brush preset with the Capture Brush Size in Preset, the brush size did not carry over from window to window if I changed the brush size manually in one of the windows. This is not the correct behavior as I understand (of course always possibility to be confused on this).

Unfortunately, I have tried yesterday and today to repeat the brush behavior and was unsuccessful. So that is strange and could always be due to user error on my part. So if there is an issue, I could not repeat it. The original problem was on a new install of CC 2019 and I tried to duplicate the issues with brush presets and tool presets of various settings. No luck.

So just a fleeting ghost at this point yet would post if the issue shows itself again.
John Wheeler

The original problem was on a new install of CC 2019 and I tried to duplicate the issues with brush presets and tool presets of various settings. No luck.
But how did the brush act when you did not use a preset? Just a normal brush?

To be honest, since I cannot repeat what I saw yesterday, it makes me question everything I did. What I believe I observed was that with a standard round brush that did not have the Brush Size included with the Brush Preset, using the brush "as is" or if I changed the brush size, that same brush and brush size would carry back and forth identically between image windows.

However, to try and duplicate the OPs issue, I created a new brush from the standard round brush, and included the option to "Capture Brush Size in Preset" (in search of maybe a different setting would have the OPs issue). When using such a brush with a fix size in the preset in multiple windows, it is my understanding that the same brush and same size should transfer between images windows. All it should change is that when selecting that Brush from the Brush Preset panel, it should immediately change to the specified preset brush size saved with the preset.

What I observed (thought I observed) was that if I used that newly created brush with a fixed preset size in image window 1, wtih preset size of X, then while still staying in Image Window 1, changed the brush size to Y, then clicked on header/tab of Image Window 2 and used the brush (which was still selected), it brushed using the preset size X instead of the changes size Y.

I cannot duplicate that behavior today which makes me question what happened yesterday. Just for reference, I am "pretty sure" I only created a Brush Present and not a "Tool Preset using a brush." When creating the new Brush preset I believe I only checked the "Capture Brush Size in Preset" and think I did not check the "Include Tool Settings" option. I do know I did not check the "Include Color" checkbox when creating the new Brush Preset.

So right now its all clear as mud : |
John Wheeler

Back