What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

layer effects flattening loses metallic highlights

patsymoffett

i have some lovely metallic effects going on in photoshop - i flatten, or copy merged, or save out to png/jpeg and some of the bevels and highlights flatten out - is there another way around this?
this is from a screen grab, which i'd use, but there's not enough resolution on it.

falltenWoe.jpg

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Why flatten?

Or are you referring to Merge visible/stamp?

When you use the Flatten command, it will ask you if you want to discard any hidden layers. When you hit OK, it gets rid of these layers. These layers may contain needed information for the image. I only flatten images if I absolutely have to.

well, it's going for litho and if i don't flatten it, the rip will - i want to make sure it looks how i intend it to print, so i'd prefer i flattened it than someone who doesn't know what it's meant to look like.

so far, I've tried:

• putting all the layers in a group, then merging the group, thereby not altering the colour mode from the one i'm working in.
  • selecting all, then doing 'Copy Merged'
  • saving out to a new png file

Gotcha. PNG was my next suggestion but I see you've tried that. Let me do some research.

Not sure, but just to make sure we're not talking about the same thing, when you say "copy merged", are you referring to Shift + Cmd/Cntrl + Opt/Alt + E?

ah - sorted - someone on adobe forum sighed exporting to Legacy with PNG-24 - it's perfect!
That's really useful info as i have lots of layer styles this happens with
thank you for your thoughts on this :-D

Great! I'm glad you that it will work for you!

Back