What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning Illustrator

JeffK

Guru
Hello all:
I'm primarily a Photoshop user - mostly self taught and a contributor to the PS forum here.
I've decided to add Illustrator to my workflow. I've been watching YouTube videos and searching for forums that can help me along the way.
For whatever reason, most of the videos I'm finding are visual only with no narration. So I'm slowing the vids down to more carefully watch.
As far as forums, I'm not having any luck. Since joining PS Gurus, I've learned quite a bit watching and participating but I can seem to replicate that in Illustrator.
So two questions:
1) What would you recommend as go-to videos/instructors to start picking up the essentials of Illustrator?
(would love it if I could find teachers like Unmesh Dinda, Aaron Nace, and Jesus Ramirez for instance)
2) What forums would you recommend that closely replicate the community that we have here on PS Gurus?
I realize there's a learning curve and willing to take my time. Just need a decent road map to follow.
Thanks for any help and guidance!
- Jeff

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @JeffK
I use LinkedIn learning and the have a free trial.
A course I recommend is their Illustrator 2021 Essential Training course
It goes through Illustrator step by step in a series of narrated videos with each video being only a few minutes each (so you don't go on overload).
Adding up all of the videos in this course it is over 5 hours long.
It all depends on how you best learn e.g. videos, books, etc yet
Here is the link to that particular training course:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/illustrator-2021-essential-training

Note that LinkedIn Learning has quite a number of training videos on Illustrator and the above is just one. It also has a myriad of areas or training videos so its worth looking around. It of course has a ton on Photoshop as well.

Give it a look and see what you think
John Wheeler

JeffK

Guru
Yes yes! Thanks for mentioning. I'm lucky enough to have free admission to Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning using my library card.
I think you had mentioned you're on the learning curve with Illustrator as well - any insights to forums?
Thanks again, John!
- Jeff

JeffK

Guru
Yep - reminds me of the very old joke but still true:

Wandering around NYC, a tourist asks:
Q: How do I get to Carnegie Hall?
A: Practice, son, practice...

JeffK

Guru
I've also been discovering some good instructors on YouTube like Pixel & Bracket and Matt Borchert.
Beyond tutorials, I'm trying to find problems to solve and projects to try. It's more than knowing the tools but also learning to use them.
The only thing I haven't found is a solid forum like PhotoshopGurus. I do visit the Graphic Design Forum which is set up similarly to PG but not as active.
It's interesting how PS and AI can work together - opens up more possibilities in design and gives me some additional challenges and learning opportunities.
Every day's a school day! :cheesygrin:
- Jeff

puraidodes

You can try Dansky & tutvid youtube channels also. Although Nathaniel from tutvid has stopped for some time from posting. His old videos are good though.
Matt Borchert typo styles are great too.

There are some illustrator groups on FB. There are some random websites but not that much active. GDF is a good one but again not very active.
Also, have a look at "bring your own laptop". Dan has some good courses!
I have not seen any but the content looks solid.

The only thing I have seen in the past couple of years is tutorials and courses are very much set to achieve an "effect" or "to do one technique" rather than teaching the actual tool or software.
So, it's very rare to find a course which "teaches" you the whole software.
The easiest way to learn illustrator that I would recommend is to learn is to tool usage first and then replicating the effect. Because you have good knowledge in PS and it will be easier. I taught people the same way too.:)
PS+Ai is the way to go!

JeffK

Guru
I have found a site Ive begun visiting every day - Graphic Design Stack Exchange. A lot of Q&A more so than image manipulation requests. It's set up using tags so you can visit exchange areas like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Print Design, Color, Fonts, etc. Lot of working knowledge there with some excellent insights. No chatting - just knowledge exchange.

I love the print area - gives me a chance to revisit the work I've done for so many years and offer some insights. The Illustrator area is solid and so is the Photoshop area - put a few processes to work that I found there.

You can sign up and also add your own answers as well as ask questions.

Photoshop Gurus still remains my go-to site that gives me a chance to practice, see others at work, and offer help where I can. Great crew here that speaks of community and family.

Onward we go ever deeper into creativity, art, and technology :cheesygrin:

- Jeff