What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

linking layer masks across layers

smax

Hi!

so the question is simple the answer I don't know.

In photoshop CS4, I can link within a LAYER, the IMAGE and its MASK. So that the if I use the MOVE tool, both moves together.

So far so good. Imagine now you have 2 layers (LAYER 1 and LAYER 2) both with their own masks (MASK 1 and MASK 2).

What I would like to do is to be able to move the MASK 1 and MASK 2 simultaneously. That is to say, I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO LINK LAYER MASKS DISTRIBUTED ACROSS LAYERS....

Is there anyone who can do that?
regards,
smax

iDad

Guru
On a Mac command plus right click each layer then after all are selected commandT to transform or move not sure on a pc.is that what you want?

smax

no . pls read carefuly my post

"What I would like to do is to be able to move the MASK 1 and MASK 2 simultaneously. That is to say, I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO LINK LAYER MASKS DISTRIBUTED ACROSS LAYERS...."

what I mean is that if I change the position of the MASK 1, I would like to have also the position of MASK 2 changed simultaneously.

help appreciated
thank you.

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
yeah not sure I understand either, are you meaning move selection?

smax

thanks guys for helping

Steve, you are right... we have two masks, what I mean with moving, is changing their position with the "Move Tool (V)". So for example say you have a layer with a mask, you could just select the mask and move it around left, right, up, down. So that is all what I want to do but I just need to move all the masks across layers simultaneously....

Steve

Retired Administrator
To the best of my knowledge there's no way to select more than one mask at a time so there's no way to move them together.

With the move tool selected the arrow keys move the mask 1 pixel at a time and with the Shift key 10 pixels at a time in the direction of the arrow.
You could count what you did and duplicate it on the 2nd mask.

That doesn't help you if you want to use a tablet or a mouse and free hand it.
Maybe record an action the first time, I have know idea if that could even work, just thinking out loud.

One last thing, you can combine the "selections" of two masks but not the masks themselves by right clicking clicking Add mask to selection on the first mask and Intersect mask with selection on the 2nd mask. Maybe that will help?

Steve

Retired Administrator
To the best of my knowledge there's no way to select more than one mask at a time so there's no way to move them together.

With the move tool selected the arrow keys move the mask 1 pixel at a time and with the Shift key 10 pixels at a time in the direction of the arrow.
You could count what you did and duplicate it on the 2nd mask.

That doesn't help you if you want to use a tablet or a mouse and free hand it.
Maybe record an action the first time, I have know idea if that could even work, just thinking out loud.

One last thing, you can combine the "selections" of two masks but not the masks themselves by right clicking Add mask to selection on the first mask and Intersect mask with selection on the 2nd mask. Maybe that will help?