What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liquid Effect

sgi93

Hi,

Im in need of some help creating a logo for a friends company. I have made a basic stripe which is going to be placed on the side of a van however my friend wants it to look like a liquid. Iv seen a few tutorials online, mainly youtube but cannot seem to find anything to suit my needs.

Videos iv seen seem to make it using channels and the cloud affect with blur however i want to put the effect on the stripe i have made using a paint brush. I have tried but cannot seem to get it to work, i was wondering if anyone could suggest something? Im using Photoshop CS6 on Mac OS X Yosemite.

Thanks in advance

SGI93

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi sgi93,
Welcome to the forum.
More info is needed here. A screenshot or something to explain further what your goal is.
Thanks

sgi93

Thanks, sorry the explanation is quite vague.

The effect I'm hoping to achieve is the following:

drips_of_paint.png
I haven;t used photoshop in a long time so I'm now trying to get used to it again. Iv seen a number of different methods including the use of plastic wrap or using the chrome filter alongside gaussian blur. Using the above drip effect i need to extend the stripes along the side of a van from the back where the drips will be to the front where the headlights are. Im wanting to use these colours too.

The stripes however need to curve, using the shape below which i have created my self.

grey_stripe_chrome.png

Thanks in advance.

SGI93

sgi93

Sorry my descriptions aren't very clear. Basically I would like the drip effect to be at the left side of the stripe I have created, I would then like the four liquid looking stripe to continue along from the drips in the shape of the grey line, as if they had been painted with a roller for example.

I like the white effect which makes it look like a glossy liquid, something which i would like to continue along the entire image.

Im presuming it will have to be really good quality as its going to be enlarged to be placed on vinyl for the side of a van.

the image below may help clarify my problems

forum_post.png

Thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I understand! Give me awhile to come up with a short tut..........that is if anyone else does not jump in and help you out!

sgi93

Thats brilliant thank you, I'm really keen on getting this perfect and its a great learning curve.

Thanks again.

sgi93

I'm just wondering if IamSam anyone else has any tutorials or advice how to achieve this effect?

thanks in advance

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
This may be a bit complicated but you can try this. If you're used to handling the PUPPET WARP then you'ld have less problems in tackling it....

In the series of images in this gif....

Paint-strip.gif

STEP 1..... Prepare image.... Enlarge the canvass to accommodate the final look you want. Rotate paint image 90degrees clockwise as shown.

STEP 2 ..... use the SINGLE COLUMN Marquee tool to select an area near the edge of the splash and Copy via layer .

STEP 3 .... CTRL+T to stretch the copy. Merge the 2 layers.

STEP 4..... Use the PUPPET WARP to curve and flex the shape. Take care not to over bend or stretch as it may distort the shape.

Extra tip...... After Step 3, duplicate the layer and work on the duplicate. If you don't like what you created, simply delete the unwanted work layer, create a duplicate of the shape layer and work on that. With a bit of experimenting with the puppet warp you may be able to get a smooth curve shape that you need.

Sam or someone else may have a different take on this. Just hang on, they'll be on soon.