What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Photoshop gurus for long term contract work

wbullard

We are looking for individuals who are experts with the displacement technique of PhotoShop. The work will consist of us providing you an image of a sofa, or chair, and one or more images of fabrics. We will need you to use the displacement technique to cover the furniture item with the fabric(s). If the fabric has a pattern, we will provide you with the "repeat" so that when the fabric is displaced over the sofa it appears with the correct repeat.

As an example, please see the attached files. For the right firm or individual we will provide several of these files each week. Occasionally several each day.

We are based in the US. Projects will be made available during the day, and the resulting work will need to be returned to us by 8 AM Central.

To evaluate your abilities we will need to see examples of displacement work you have done, or you can use the files we have provided.

View attachment Chair Example 1.zip

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I am wondering why there hasn't been more response to this post? Most all of us know how to do displacement maps. Maybe if this were posted in the freelance section there might be some response?

wbullard

Hi Gohan2091,
I'm new to this forum, but assume that you attached a jpg of the image manipulation of the chair and sofa. I tried to look at the image but am unable to. It is more complicated than one might initially think especially when you factor in the "Repeat" aspect of the fabric.

gohan2091

Power User
Hello Wbullard,

Are you unable to view the JPEG because it's awaiting to be approved? I would like to work with you, I am experienced with photoshop (view my signature) but it appears I am unable to do what you ask to a satisfactory level. Take a look when you are able to and you will see the obvious flaw. The pattern looks like it's been laid flat over the object.

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Sorry guys. Image approved. Gohan, remember to use the exclamation report icon when you need an image approval. (if you didn't, since I haven't received a reported post re: this, but email notifications often lag)

hawkeye

Guru
I've seen these kind of things before but I have yet to see anyone willing to pay properly for the time required. Actually there is, or a least was, a plug-in specifically for doing this. But I don't recall the name.

stufflol

Power User
Best way to do it would be in a 3d application, but only if you had blueprint/3d model of the furniture you are applying the textures to

hawkeye

Guru
You can't do this type of thing with just a single displacement map. You need to treat each part of the furniture individually. The top of the seat, the front of the seat, the side of the seat, the same for the back and sides, etc. Then you have to add the highlights and shadows. To do it right takes a lot of time, and time is money.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Based on the OP's specifications and use, it's not only in the number of furniture work but the intricacies involved as pointed out by hawkeye. The fabric has to be applied on an actual furniture sample. This may involve a number of fabric swats on the same piece hence you are delivering several images of the furniture in different fabric.

And it's not as simple as taking the image sample and using just that over the entire furniture. I agree this takes time to do but the OP's timetable has to be taken into consideration and met.

As forum freelancers, you have the right to make an offer and negotiate for fair compensation package with the client based on the complexity of the work.

ALB68

It probably was. I have a bad habit of leaping before I look sometimes. Sorry for the inconvenience :)
If it wasn't in freelance when you posted Larry, it is now.

ALB68

But wait...we are supposed to practice some kind of magic here. Just wave that Photoshop wand and wonderful and magic things happen with little cost consequence to the client. Somehow, many clients believe that since this work is so "easy" that it's value is somehow lowered. :rolleyes:
Based on the OP's specifications and use, it's not only in the number of furniture work but the intricacies involved as pointed out by hawkeye. The fabric has to be applied on an actual furniture sample. This may involve a number of fabric swats on the same piece hence you are delivering several images of the furniture in different fabric.

And it's not as simple as taking the image sample and using just that over the entire furniture. I agree this takes time to do but the OP's timetable has to be taken into consideration and met.

As forum freelancers, you have the right to make an offer and negotiate for fair compensation package with the client based on the complexity of the work.

Paul

Former Member
The force be cheap in this one:mrgreen:

ibclare

Queen Bee
SO, I am curious about Hawk's idea that there might be a plugin that could at least minimize the work. Anybody have any idea? It would help all the freelance candidates if someone knows of such a thing. I think that would put us closer to fulfilling the OPs needs. Of course we haven't heard from you, respected client, as to what kind of funds you can dedicate and to what level of perfection you need. I imagine this is for a commercial website so you need some pretty believable representations. What say ye, lol?

inkpad.t

Guru
I have played around with displacement maps for quite some time, but never found a plug in or action etc that would be able to give the desired effect around different images , or any come to that matter. If there is a plug in then i hope some one finds it and posts a link , it would save a tremendous amount of time for all.

I haven't heard of a plugin, a filter or an action for this type of "difficult" work either. And I agree with Larry, the OP wants the job done fast every day, in the best quality to the lowest price, because he either has no knowledge of Photoshop or he thinks that we gurus can just push the magic button. My gut feeling is: Keep away from offers like this. I personally wouldn't touch the job.