What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to kill a Trojan

Pipsmom

Guru
Somehow day before yesterday I have picked a up a trojan. I noticed it first when in PS select and mask the lag delay was horrible and external hard drive ran all the time even when while not in use...... I knew something was amiss.
I have inspected everything I know how to do, typed in the location, researched endlessly and still can't find where the little bugger is hiding.
I believe its in the start up procedure somewhere, everytime I do a restart it appears again, AVG identifies it and I quarantines it, so every tiime i start up I have to do a scan before even checking emails,
I have installed Malwarebytes and it never picks it up only AVG. I have written a report to AVG identifying it but yet to get a response. It cant be a false positive because of the behaviour it causes. Its something to do with bitcoin and they hijack your computer to scam people
The scan identifies the file as .
JS:Cryptonight[TRI]
private-var-db-7B
then a long file number

Yet I cant not locate the file number by search.....
There are many kinds so I have read of this cryponight trojan...anyone got any idea's how to hunt this thing down and kill it for good?

Thank you for helping Ged,
I tried the malwarebytad cleaner download (your first link last night) its for windows and Im using a Mac, Sadly the second link is for windows too

Applied a restore and running a fresh scan, fingers crossed it will be gone when finished, Thanks for the suggestions Ged

As a last resort if you can't get rid of it - ComboFix

This a very powerful fix, and usually gets rid of malware that other software can't.

http://combofix.org/

I agree that combo fix is a very useful tool. Unfortunately it is a little outdated now and also doesn’t work on the Mac.

Cheers

John

Happy to say I'm Trojan free again, but it did take a few restores to work myself back to a clean copy in September that wasn't infected. Enough cant be said about backing up your computer on a regular basis. I have been on a schedule of backing up to the time machine and also to LaCie external HD on a bi-weekly basis. Thanks you every one for your suggestions and help

Back