What's new

many Brush elements are not 100% transparent

samsimon

Hey, I've spent 5 hours and cannot figure out.... many elements (stars, shapes, distress etc) within brush, are not 100% transparent, but like 90% transparent.... here what I tried.... and the setting.... please aid

thanks

thebestcpu

Guru
Is this a new problem? I do not have your exact brushes yet the brush may be designed that way. If the brush is not created with solid black in the areas you want totally opaque, then they only way to get around that is to use a different brush or create a new brush based on the one that does not quite do it for you.

One way to check is set a background of totally white, With foreground set to totally black and the desired brush selected (e.g. star) click once to create a single star imprint.
Then check across the image with the Info Panel open. Make sure that you are looking at RGB numbers in the first options and opacity in the second option.
If the RGB values across the star is not exactly 0 (solid black) then there is some transparency built in to the brush.

This can be further verified by turning the background white layer into a normal Layer (if not already) and turn off the visibility of that Layer. When you move you cursor over the star pattern in the second Layer, you will see that the opacity is not 100%.

If this is not your issue, would have to dig into it further and have access to the brush itself (if you could provide a source)
John Wheeler

samsimon

Is this a new problem? I do not have your exact brushes yet the brush may be designed that way. If the brush is not created with solid black in the areas you want totally opaque, then they only way to get around that is to use a different brush or create a new brush based on the one that does not quite do it for you.

One way to check is set a background of totally white, With foreground set to totally black and the desired brush selected (e.g. star) click once to create a single star imprint.
Then check across the image with the Info Panel open. Make sure that you are looking at RGB numbers in the first options and opacity in the second option.
If the RGB values across the star is not exactly 0 (solid black) then there is some transparency built in to the brush.

This can be further verified by turning the background white layer into a normal Layer (if not already) and turn off the visibility of that Layer. When you move you cursor over the star pattern in the second Layer, you will see that the opacity is not 100%.

If this is not your issue, would have to dig into it further and have access to the brush itself (if you could provide a source)
John Wheeler
1. I just saw/found this feature, and first time trying it...
2. I'm noob within PS, and I was not able to fully follow your steps in regards background/foreground etc...
3. Here ABR
4. I have old PS CS 4 (version 11)
5. I would like to know how I can fix/manage the brush elements and make it 100% transparent.... so I won't bother anyone, and would be able to do it on my own
thanks a lot

Attachments

samsimon

if you could share video, i just tried 20 times with different background and foreground... and it's still not 100% transparent... are your elements (stars, leaves, shapes etc) 100% transparent on text?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If the brush is not created with solid black in the areas you want totally opaque, then they only way to get around that is to use a different brush or create a new brush based on the one that does not quite do it for you.
I completely agree that this is probably the problem.

How many brushes are in your ABR file?

samsimon

Does this happen with all your brushes or just one?
With all - I can adjust it with All circle brushes, because they have "hardness" feature, i make it 100 and not problems - 100% transparency. but all other brushes: stars, leaves, shapes don't have Hardness feature, thus they are as is...
one star brush is within ABR

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi SamSimon
As I suspected, the sample brush that you are using is not 100% black.
Yet first there is some confusion on brushes so let me clear that up.
When brushing on a pixel Layer, the brush will paint the pixels the color of your foreground color and how solid that brush is depends on how the brush was originally created.
When you are painting on a Layer mask, painting black on a white Layer Mask will have it punch through to the next Layer to the degree that the brush was created.
The brush you shared was not a totally opaque brush. When I create a white background Layer and paint with your star with foreground set to full black, I only get a gray tone. That means the brush has some transparency to see partially through to the white.
Therefore, you need a brush that is fully opaque to either paint with no transparency (solid) and when painting in a Layer Mask, will create full transparency (that will be next post)
Here is the image of that brush as I set above:

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.37.33 PM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
There are several ways to fix the issue you are seeing. One involves just adjusting the Layer Mask so the blacks are a more full black.
I will assume however that you want a brush that just does this to begin with.
So I will show you how to create a brush.
In the last image, I made the brush and box size 104 pixels and it turned out a bit gray.

So what I would do is use the Image >Adjustments > Curves and move the black point as shown until the image is fully black as shown in the image below:

Screen-Shot-2020-10-13-at-5.37.33-PM.jpg

From here, we create a new brush.
First select the entire image with keyboard shortcut Cmd + A (Cntl + A for PCs)
Then use the Edit > Define Brush Preset and type in the name of the brush

You new brush is now available in the Brush palette for use.

I am pretty sure that is all there is to it and this should give you a solid brush that when used on a white Layer Mask will punch through to the next lower level quite cleanly.
If there are more questions or if you have issues just ask
John Wheeler

samsimon

1. If I create this star brush template (with adjusted curves) will it also make all the shapes and leaves (i need to use them all) 100% transparent as well?
2. If it's easier for me (noob within photohop) maybe I can set up Layer Mask to fully black as you said? please share steps.
Thanks you!

p.s.
Why PS making it's so complicated to make just 100% transparent brush shapes....

thebestcpu

Guru
1. If I create this star brush template (with adjusted curves) will it also make all the shapes and leaves (i need to use them all) 100% transparent as well?
2. If it's easier for me (noob within photohop) maybe I can set up Layer Mask to fully black as you said? please share steps.
Thanks you!

p.s.
Why PS making it's so complicated to make just 100% transparent brush shapes....
Note that the issue started with the particular brush that was being used. I am sure there are stars already created that don't have built in transparency
You can either download a brush without the transparency or modify existing brushes in the fashion which I outlined. I have not heard otherwise so I assume unless yet mention otherwise, you can either download or create the desired brush with the prior instructions.

In the image below here are the steps that you can take in a simpler fashiion.

Note that I have created a two Layer PS file with the top Layer been 100% white and the bottom Layer being 100% green. I have also set the foreground color to blue

#1 with the White Layer selected in the Layers panel, chose the regular brush tool and select the star brush that you created. Click on your canvas and you have a blue star as it is painting pixels.

#2 Select the erasure tool again using the same brush and click on the white Layer. You will note that you have a green star because the erasure tool place full transparency in the white to show through to the green Layer

That is simplest approach yet it is also destructive to the pixel Layer

If you want instead of creating transparency right in the pixels, you can also create a white Layer Mask (default when you create the Layer Mask) and paint with the regular brush with black on that Layer Mask using the desired brush shape. This will create a transparency to to the Layer below.

So yes, a single created brush can accomplish all of these tasks.

As far as the complexity of Photoshop - you will get no argument from me on that!!!

Hope this helps and if more questions, just keep on asking
John Wheeler

Instructions.jpg

samsimon

sorry, i'm totally confused, I think I followed the steps but I think I'm messing up... I'm slowly just start to learn photoshop...
First step is to open ABR file that I sent you and create new PS template window?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi samsimon

I will cover how to modify an existing brush to make it more solid without transparency.
However, that is not the normal path that most take when they want a particular brush
Most will just search google for the type of brush they want (most all are free) and just use one online. That is the fastest way to move ahead with a project rather than getting into the nitty gritty of creating brushes.
A second way to is use per-existing shapes either directly or for the starting point for creating a brush. Note that for the star shape you wanted to change, it already exists as a custom shape that is solid (no transparency)

If you really desire to modify and existing brush or create a brush from a shape, here is a tutorial on how to create a brush (this tutorial is from a custom shape):
http://pixelstreetstudios.com/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-topics/creating-a-custom-brush/

If you want to create a new brush from an already existing brush (you posted problem) instead of using the shape tool in the tutorial, just use the brush tool with black as the color to use with the brush and click just once to get a single brush mark. In your case, the image will come out with some gray because the brush had some transparency. Then you just need to turn the gray into black and follow the rest of the tutorial through the Define Brush Preset.

If you are unfamiliar with how to adjust gray to black, just use the Image > Adjustments > Threshold and move the slider. This will give you a pure black and white image from which to make a Brush Preset.

I hope this helps with a direction to consider.
John Wheeler

samsimon

Alright, I will record and follow the steps... I'm stuck on step 8, there is no shape that I just created....

PS
After all the steps, I don't have to adjust existing stars, leaves, and shapes/distress anymore and they will be 100% transparent by default?

thebestcpu

Guru
HI samsimon
We are getting closer so hang in there. The tutorial was not explicit enough as it was created using CS6 where the Shape Options bar was a little bit different. I should have thought of that since you mention using CS4 yet that slipped by me.
CS4 creates shapes differently than CS6 and beyond (which use Shape Objects) and the tutorial technique does not work directly.
Yet here is what you need to do to make it work in CS4
When you are creating the Shape, you want to the option to create pixels which I have marked in the image below (had to go searching back 11 versions of photoshop ago to get to CS4)
With that option choosen in the Option Bar, the Shape that is created should just be plain old pixels in the Layer that you started.
The other issue was that with following the tutorial, since pixels were not generated for the shape, the "Define Brush Preset" as grayed out so you could not create a Brush Preset (thats where you probably created a Shape Preset and that is not what we want to to do)

Old-Shape-panel.jpg

So with the above steps and choosing "Define Brush Preset" the new brush should show up in your Brush Pallete. If the shape was solid black then there will be no transparency in the Brush that is created.

Hope this gets you to the next step and if not its because I could not try it out personal yet we are getting closer. Note that the last version of which I have on my computer is CS6 so a bit difficult for me to help with CS4 and sorry for the confusion.
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
Added point to your question.
For any brush made in the fashion where all you have is pure black and pure white in the image, it will have 100% opaqueness or 0% transparency when used as a brush on a pixel Layer using the default settings for the Brush.

If you use the erasure tool on a pixel Layer, then that Brush will create 100% transparency to see through to the next Lower Layer

If you use the regular brush on a Layer Mask, then that too will create 100% transparency to the next lower level.

So what tool you use with the brush and where you use the brush determines if it is solid with 100% opaqueness or 100% transparency.

Having the brush created with pure black and white vs grayscale is the key to not having an in-between result.

And of course, this is for any brush created this way by you or others or if you modify an existing brush and convert it from grayscale to pure black and white.

I was not suggesting these steps was a blanket solution for all brushes you mentioned with a problem unless you recreate them, download new ones, or modify existing ones.

And yes doing this for a bunch of brushes would be a PITA which I why I suggested alternatives to getting the desired brush which may be less work.

I just figured I was not being clear before and you statements about transparency are subject to which tool and where used.

Hope this helps vs making things more confusing.

John Wheeler

samsimon

I was, and still a bit confused. could you please answer so I can understand clearly:
1. Are all these brush elements pre-build within PS? Or someone added them on my PC (maybe my friend long time ago...)?
2. If they are pre-build, then they are made to be not 100% transparent? Or someone created them non transparent from start?
3. Then will I have to modify each and every element that I need, I must follow all 20-30 steps that we are following now? Pretty much I would have to re-create all and each elements? If so, I don't want to bother you anymore, and waste your time, I though it's one-two-three deal, but it get's too hard for me.

PS
Thanks for the info - I will try to get some Free brushes.

sdghdhffd.PNG

Last edited:

samsimon

And this 100% black layer that you mentioned before? I think not working for me....

PS
I think I found way shortcut/workaround using pencil and just "refine mask"

thebestcpu

Guru
I was, and still a bit confused. could you please answer so I can understand clearly:
1. Are all these brush elements pre-build within PS? Or someone added them on my PC (maybe my friend long time ago...)?
2. If they are pre-build, then they are made to be not 100% transparent? Or someone created them non transparent from start?
3. Then will I have to modify each and every element that I need, I must follow all 20-30 steps that we are following now? Pretty much I would have to re-create all and each elements? If so, I don't want to bother you anymore, and waste your time, I though it's one-two-three deal, but it get's too hard for me.

PS
Thanks for the info - I will try to get some Free brushes.

View attachment 116190
#1 and #2 There are many brushes built in to PS and I do not know the details of the brushes that come with CS4. I suspect some are solid black and white and some are not so some brushes will be built with gray tones. Brushes can be added in to Photoshop so a prior user certainly could have done so. I would not know.

#3 I agree that trying to modify each brush would be a lot of manual work and why I suggested just getting the brushes you want online. Sounds as if you found how to adjust the Layer Mask to get results along the lines you want. Hope that workaround does it for you

I can see the issue where you try the brush and it appears that you did not get complete transparency when using the brush on the Layer Mask. If the brush was created with solid black and you are using solid black with using the brush, that should not be the case. So either the brush still was not solid black, the brush color was not solid black (it appears it was from your settings) or Photoshop has gotten into a state that is a problem and you would need to reset Photoshop Preferences.

There is another remote possibility yet given that you are using CS4 would be beyond my ability to easily debug. A little know fact is that the Layer Mask actually use the grayscale values as determined by the grayscale working space set up under Edit > Color Settings.

If you have a workaround that works for you, that might be the best path given you are using CS4 which makes things pretty difficult for me to help not having that version available. Another forum member might be able to help that has access to the at version.

Best of skill on your project.
John Wheeler