What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masking question

SteveH

:neutral: OK. So I created a mask to drop out the background of an image. Then I create a new file with the canvas size I need. In that file I create a solid fill layer. Now I paste my masked image into the new file and the background of this image appears to opaque white. I am under the impression that the background should be transparent. If I go back to the original image and create a solid fill layer in that file, the masked image overlays the fill layer. What am I doing wrong.

Steve

Steve

Retired Administrator
Here's where you loose me.
Now I paste my masked image into the new file and the background of this image appears to opaque white
How are you copying?
If you're inside Photoshop you have no option to "copy" a layer with mask, and you didn't say layer you said image.
So did you save this first image with the mask say to your desktop?

If so how did you "copy" the image and "paste" it in the 2nd background image?

I don't understand the workflow.

SteveH

I don't know all the photoshop jargon. Yes it was a layer. I went back to the orignal photo, started over and this time when I pasted the layer in the template file the background was transparent against a fill layer. Must have been something I did in the original file.

hawkeye

Guru
Open both images open, then simply drag the layer from the layers palette to the other image.