What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matching paper and line color on graphite drawings

somafi

Hi Everyone!

I'm having a slight problem matching the paper on a number of drawings done on the same paper with the same graphite.

I intend to have these screen printed and while it'd be ideal to mask out the paper, the detailed nature of the drawings does not allow me to do so.

Here's my question then. How might I get all these drawings to match accurately enough to isolate the colors and values? Matching the whites even?

I've tried masking out the pencil and using curves to maintain the slight red while applying a b/w filter to the rest of the drawing and a photo filter on top of that. Unfortunately this still doesn't create the uniformity I need.

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 1.08.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 1.10.42 PM.png

Thanks!

The thing about the above tut I linked is that it really works better if the background is white. You can use color selection, but better on the simpler shape would be to increase the levels then use the magic wand, or I prefer the quick selection tool, to isolate the outside bg and mask that off to create a png or transparent bg.

As for the more intricate shape, I think nitea could explain the method applioed better than I can. Channels maybe?

hm i just wrote a long post, explaining the method and quit my browser by mistake .. .anyway...again :) What I did was again using the levels adjst. but:

1 copied the original layer
2. use a separate level layer (you can adjust it later) or ctrl+L. Pick the black pipette and click on the darker area of the image, then do the same whit the white pipette, I clicked on the BG to make it white
3. then I blend the white of the copied layer in the layer style (this layer adjust - holding the alt key while you blending you can make a spilter) and isolate the black lines, making the bg transparent.
4. erased some unwanted dots ..they were not so much
5 add whatever BG if you want under ...

I hope i explained it understandable, cause i couldn't find the tutorial i used to learn this method, but i will give a try of ibclare way too .. if it's less destructive for the fine lines.

May I ask are you going to colorize them somafi ?

To clarify step 5, this uses the layer effects option>blending options>blend if, then using the top slider and holding alt/opt key split the slider in half and move it to isolate the black.

I tried out another method. It is a bit more painstaking (more use of paintbrush, but hard edges and 100% make it easier than some mask work) and depends on what results you are looking for.

1. Create a duplicate of original layer.
2. Turn off visibility of original.
3. Increase the levels to dark.
4. Use select>color range and select the background as much as possible.
5. Mask off this selection.
6. Use a brush full hardness, 100%, and paint out the areas you want transparent; paint in those you want to contain the original lines and shades. This is the part that takes the most time, but I personally think is not difficult and gives the best control.

Here is my interpretation shown as a png with a blue bg to show up the edges of the png.

png.jpg

BTW, if you use nitea's method first then remove the white (make the blend if layer into a regular layer (one simple method to do this is to make a layer below, then merge the empty layer with the blend if layer), then use any method to select all the white. That way you will preserve the integrity of the fine black lines outside the face.

Each method has its pros and cons depending on what kind of result you are looking to produce.

PS: one good way to select all the white is to go to select>color range, and in the drop down menu, choose highlights.

Last edited:
cool thank you for the color range option ..didn't know that :) So I combain few methods and achieve this:

1 make copy of the org file
2. I used the color range :)
3. again play with levels
4. brightness & contrast adjst- push contrast up to 100% - to achieve solid black
5. reduce noise filter - reduce color noise (that if you forgot to scan on b/w mode )
6. make bg layer under
Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 1.08.10 PM copy.png

Back