What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercator Effects tutorial

JoshN

Have a question about the mercator effects tut found here, http://photoshopgurus.info/intermediate/mercator/mercator-effects.shtml.

Near the end of Step5 you're told to deselect. Step6 begins with creating a new layer, then filling the selection with white. I'm not understanding this. Step5 just told me to deselect, but then Step6 acts like the selection is still there. Am I not supposed to deselect like it said, or am I missing something? [confused]

Hi Josh...

I apologize for that bit'o confusion there... i never caught that snafu before -- even after reading through and doing the tut 2x! Aaaagh! [confused]

I've added a line to Step 6 that clears this up.
But so ya know here and now... Ctrl-click the gradient sphere layer after you create the new layer from Step 6. Then continue on with the 'filling with white' part.

DOH! [doh]

PS: funny how tons of folks have done that tut and never mentioned this snafu to me? hmm...

How'd I miss that?

I did that tute! The only thing I can think of is that I've done a lot of tutes where one or more steps were left out, or just wrong (ONLY time I've seen this in Mark's :D) So, I just think "he must've meant this" and just go on, and forget about it.

theKeeper: funny how tons of folks have done that tut and never mentioned this snafu to me? hmm...
:\ Agree Mark!

Agree with you, too, Julie. I think that we all did that tute! [shhh] Funny how some (all) of us just "second guess", read 'tween the lines and then get on with things. [confused]

Kudos JoshN for following directions explicitly! :perfect: Look forward to seeing your results!

Thanks for pointing this out JoshN. By doing that you don't only help yourself, but also Mark and all the people who are going to try that same tutorial :perfect:

Back