What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merging layers with different blending modes

Theiamania

Hallo everybody,
following a tut about Photoshop compositing, I have to create a fake shadow on the ground. I make it pretty good (see image 1) using tre different layer copy with different blendings mode and Opacity.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 07.38.58.jpg

But when i Merge three layer i loose my semitransparent shadow...it becomes completely black, at the starting point...
(see image 2)

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 07.39.48.jpg

What it wrong?

And than, if I want to blur the (unique) faked shadow layer, how can i male it without blurring all layers of the document? I try to use an empty layer as a Clipping mask, and I applied blur to it, without results...
please help! :banghead:

Thx!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lower the opacity of the merged shadow layer and convert it to a smart object, then apply a Gaussian blur.

Theiamania

Okay Iam, but this is the second step... first I have to merge shadow layers, and I can't do it ...

MrToM

Guru
Why do you NEED to merge the layers?

Blending modes work by having an 'Active' layer and a 'Blend' layer on top of it....the result is calculated from the two. Without at least TWO layers blending just cannot happen.

Can you manually merge the two together? By that I mean whatever it is you've done on one of them can you not do that to the other so you only one layer for the shadow?

Failing that why not just blur both layers?

Without having the file to work on its difficult to say whats best but if you use blending modes then all you can do really is to 'Stamp' (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E) those layers. You wont have the ability to blur 'just' the shadow anymore but you could always duplicate the layer, blur the whole thing and then mask out the whole thing and paint back in the areas that need blurring.

Lots of options there.....but merging layers with blend modes isn't one of them.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good point MrT, I had actually written in my earlier response that I would just group the layers but I edited it out of my response. Grouping would give you better control over the layers.

MrToM

Guru
...Grouping would give you better control over the layers...
Very true.....I like it!

What about grouping as a Smart Object? Could you blur that?

I don't really have the time to replicate the scene so its all guesswork for now I'm afraid.

Regards.
MrToM.

Theiamania

Yeah, close all shadow layers in a Group and blur only it. I hope it works...
I'm away now, but I'll try tomorrow

Many thanks for your replyes