What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

monitors

nitrobutler

Power User
Hello, one and all!
I've been using PS for over a year and couldn't be more pleased with it.
When I'm editing or drawing with PS, I spend hours at a time at it, i do take brakes once an hour but some times when I get a creative streak its hard pulling away from it and my eyes get tired and weary :(
My question is Should I invest in a flat screen monitor that emits less radiation? or are the CRT monitors ideal for detailed work?

A hearty welcome to the forum from this side of the world, nitrobutler.

I haven't tried working long hours on a flat screen yet. So there's not much I can say. Hang in there. There are others here who use em. Let's wait and see what they have to say.

Personally, I've worked with CRT monitorss for years and I'm proud to say my eyes are a perfect 50-50 [stuned] .

Enjoy your time here.

vee

Hi and welcome to the board nitrobutler :perfect:

I don't know a lot about LCD monitors, but I do know that some people on the board have one, so please hold on, someone will answer your question ;)

I still use a crt, but I've been looking around for a good and affordable tft (lcd) because of eye strain. The main problem is that up to now, they just can't match the crt in colour depth etc, although there seems to be an exception: the Samsung Syncmaster 152T seems to be the first affordable 15 flatscreen that matches a crt. (tomshardware)
Most flatscreens are either LG (like Apple's) or Philips built.

welcome aboard Nitrobutler

I spend most of my 15 hour days in front of my screen and yes it is only a crt like you I get a great amount of eye strain my eyes sting and start watering if I spend more than 3 hours on one image particularly if it is a very bright light colour I then usually by that stage put my glasses on [shhh] so I know what your saying - I haven't used an LCD for that length of time but I can't see how the lcd would make much difference except that I wouldn't get the glare
as Erik said the colours don't seem to match up - I had noticed that too and so for this reason alone oh okay and the price (even wholesale price) I am not ready yet to go out and spend that sort of money
someone here can't remember who now did go and buy one so perhaps they could let you know the difference that they have found
sfm

I'm not in a position to answer your question Nitrobutler but just wanted to say Hi and welcome aboard!:)

Thank you, for all the prompt replies and welcomes I've recieved.
I hope i can be a good contributer to this site.
talk to you all soon.

hi, im a new user here too :)

i dont have a problem with eye strain, i have a 17inch LG and i run it at 1024 so everything is at a comfortable size, maybe u should try havin a look at your display properties and make sure the refresh reate is set as high as it can go, cause that might be what is giving u the eye strain

Originally posted by grek
maybe u should try havin a look at your display properties and make sure the refresh reate is set as high as it can go, cause that might be what is giving u the eye strain

Important point Grek, since a lot of people forget that.
70 Hz should be fine, higher is better, but it will reduce the life of the monitor tube.

A lot depends on your eye/brain structure too. I have a 19inch, set at 1280x960, a,d a refresh rate of 100, but I still get eyestrain because my eyes are very sensitive and I still "see" the flickering. (even if some may state that this is scientifically impossible).

I've checked my refresh rate and also I increased my work area lighting and it seems to ease the strain a little so far [innocent]

Hi and welcome, as far as monitors go i am not qualified to give a really good opinion but in my experience there certainly is a difference. At home i use a standard CRT screen but at work (before i retired) I had a flat screen CRT. There is quite a difference there. I have never used a LCD monitor for my PC so i can't comment on that, although I do have quite a lot of eye strain-n-n-n-n-n-n- ha ha , :D

Erik said:
A lot depends on your eye/brain structure too. I have a 19inch, set at 1280x960, a,d a refresh rate of 100, but I still get eyestrain because my eyes are very sensitive and I still "see" the flickering. (even if some may state that this is scientifically impossible).

Hey Erik thats scientifically impossible :D ...couldnt resist :rofl:

Stu.

I am buying an LCD soon,simply because I cant use 1024 x 768 with my crt because it messes me up,and I need more screen real estate for 3d etc,so I am actually hoping to get 2 x15 inch LCD monitors,one for the veiw window and one for palettes and then no worries about refresh rates either.

All you have to do see what a refresh rate is really like is wait until you see a computer in the back ground of an interveiw or something on TV and you will see it flashng away as it refreshes.

Formac also make nice monitors

Stu.

Hey, Stu, who says so? I suppose you are more scientifically imporbable than this refresh rate. Hahahahahahaaaaaa.:p ;)

Ok, another question here. What size monitores do you fokes prefer when using a program such as Photoshop. what size do you like for a 3D program. I am on a 17" monitor but my Uncle's 21" looks very appealing especially for graphics. He go it at a really good price also.

Sanby

monitor size

I like Kiwis idea of having two monitors one for the the palettes and the other for canvass.

3D is extremely graphics intensive. On PC you have the advantage of refreshing only what you do have changed, but even then... So two monitors for 3D can be stressy for all but the strongest graphics cards ( ATI Radeon 9700, Wildcats and the new Nvidia that will be out around spring).

For Photoshop, there's something else that matters too: the correctness of the colours. And there, tft monitors are still way behind the CRT ones. To know more, you can always visit tomshardware or any other reliable hardware site.

For 3D, you do need lots of screen estate, therefore 1600x1200 is "the norm". But you need a powerful card to display this, so a second monitor can simply be too much.

Back