What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice of how to make the effect in an example image

joukiavi

Hello everyone, I'm new to photoshop and I would like to do the very same effect as presented at the next image. Can you please tell me how to achieve this?

zzz.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Which aspect of this image do you mean? The blur? The colors? The lighting? Or, something else?

To to be honest, I see nothing in this image that needs Photoshop. It can all be done with a reasonable camera if u know how to use it.

Tom

joukiavi

There's a some sort of a grid in the image. I think I know how to do it, but not really sure yet.
The blur effect I already know how to implement, I guess. With gaussian blur filter.
This grid is a real problem here to me

MrToM

Guru
Create a 6x6px pattern like this:

cross_pattern_MT_01.png

Then above the image create a new fill layer, set to pattern, and use this pattern.

You can then change the opacity and or blend mode or whatever to however you want it to blend with the original image.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
Well, that teaches me once again never to try to reply to a post based on what I see on my cell phone, LOL (Sorry, I never even saw the grid).

That being said, I would add to the nice response of MrToM that you should apply the pattern only after you are finished resizing the image. The reason is that if you change the dimensions of the image in pixels after the grid is in place, it can easily get smeared out by resampling operations.

Tom M

joukiavi

Yes, seen this pattern method at youtube yesterday, just thought maybe there is something else that I should consider so it will look more professional.
BTW: perhaps it's because of the display you got(but i assume you should be with some kickass ones, due the graphic aspect you're dealing with), but I can see without any problem the grid at the image, after I see it in the original width, simply by clicking on it.

But thanks a lot for the help, I'll be questioning you a lot then :)

joukiavi

Oh, I forgot to actually ask something. I tried this effects on different images and I don't know why exactly, but seems like they becoming very unprofessional.
I tried to correct the colors and was very proud of my self :) because the difference was like huge, but yet... something is wrong. I think it's the images it self, but I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm doin' wrong the blur effect? I'm using Gaussian blur with 8.0 number in it.

Tom Mann

Guru
... something is wrong. I think it's the image itself, but I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm doin' wrong the blur effect? I'm using Gaussian blur with 8.0 number in it.
I presume you experimented with different radii for the Gaussian Blur, so next, why don't you try:

(a) Photoshop's "Lens Blur" filter;
(b) Photoshop's "Diffuse (anisotropic)" applied repeatedly;
(c) some of the new blur filters introduced in CC2014;
(d) download a free trial copy of the plugin, "DoF Pro" by Rosenman;
(e) and finally, get a photographer with a full frame DSLR, about a 100 mm f/2.8 macro, and knows how to light a still life like this to show you what it could look like straight out of the camera.

I assure you that directly comparing many of the common blur / depth-of-field filters with the "real thing" (ie, an OOF lens) will be very informative.

Tom M