What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Need edit cleaning up a movie still from DVD

Dziga74

Premium Member
I've attached two stills, I'd like to see if it's possible to make #2 look as good (or better) as #1. Both were super grainy to begin with, I was able to improve #1 but I forgot how I did it. Also if you're able to improve on #1 please do. No need to resize unless it helps your process. As always any edit is greatly appreciated!

#1.jpg

#2.png

Thanks so much, that's a definite improvement. if it's not asking too much do you think you could achieve this with the second pic I posted? I'm self taught at PS and while I think I did decent job, I essentially did it by trial and error and I can't do it again.

Thanks so much, that's a definite improvement. if it's not asking too much do you think you could achieve this with the second pic I posted? I'm self taught at PS and while I think I did decent job, I essentially did it by trial and error and I can't do it again.
I used yur first one and went from there Im not sure where to go from that.

do you think you could achieve this with the second pic I posted? I'm self taught at PS and while I think I did decent job, I essentially did it by trial and error and I can't do it again.

Did the first image start out the same as the second image? Simultaneously overexposed, underexposed and very grainy? If yes, you did a very good job. I've tried to fix Image #2 four different ways and, although I can improve it a lot, I can't get it as good as Image #1.

Yeah, they both came from the same place. As I mentioned previously I'm self taught so I tend to try a few different things in combination and see what works. I was pretty happy with what I was able to do but I can't duplicate it. I didn't use any blurring, just mainly Raw Camera filters in conjunction with selective exposure. I really appreciate your trying. I'd like to see what you've been able to do

Here's what I've got. But yours is better.

Here are my steps:
  • Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise
  • Sharpen with Unsharp Mask
  • Camera Raw Filter to correct exposure and to apply additional noise reduction in Camera Raw. (I possibly should have done this as my first step—second guessing myself.)
  • Shadows & Highlights adjustment, mainly to reduce the glare from the window.
  • Sharpen with High Pass filter
  • High Pass filter again, for hair only
  • Lightened the whites of eyes and removed reds and yellows.
  • Small saturation increase.
Kim.png

That's much better than what I came up with on the second one. Thanks very much for sharing your process. I should mention that the goal is to get this nice enough to make a print which she's going to sign for me. I prefer this image more than the first one, subtle difference in the expression on her face and the legs are in a slightly different position. Almost there, but not quite. Again, very much appreciated.

Here's a shot at it. Actually wanted to emphasize the light rays coming thru the window, softened the grain using camera raw and smart sharpen, some dodge and burn, and believe it or not, tried adding some color to her lips and whitened here eyes.
This was extremely grainy and quite a challenge. I suppose with AI software like Topaz Denoise, you might get some extra magic.
I'm thinking Kim Basinger....don't tell me I'm wrong...I'm such a boy... :cheesygrin:
- Jeff
movie still edited.png

With the 2nd (darker) version ...

- Adobe camera raw for Basics (highlights, shadows, contrast); Detail (noise reduction)
- Curves adjustments (colour cast reduction)
- Topaz Noise AI
All adjustments made to duplicate layers and added with masks.

Redo.jpg

Same or similar process and tools as everyone else...different decisions. Lots of compromises with this amount of information loss.

Backlit Woman_2.jpg

Thanks very much. Suppose it's time I looked into Topaz. Very much appreciated!

Back