What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help ASAP!

Big E

Hi there, can anyone give me some instructions or ideas on how to create the pattern I've attached in Photoshop and/or Illustrator? I've spent hours trying to discover the technique, but I can't figure it out. In addition, it would be even more preferable to create the pattern inverted, so instead of the circles reducing in size towards the center–they would increase in size towards the center, thus decreasing in size away from the center. Ideas anyone?

Thanks a million!

Ethan

Attachments

• wall_sticker_spiral_decor_decals_s.jpg
    wall_sticker_spiral_decor_decals_s.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 34

fotograffiti

Power User
I could be wrong, but I think Illustrator works better for this. But I have just minimum knowledge of it.
I guess someone will explain how to do it.

circles.png

I did this in Illustrator by doing a line of circles that reduced in size by 5% each instance, then making that line into a pattern brush by dragging the line onto the brush panel. I then used the spiral tool to do a spiral, copied it and span the copy 180 degrees and aligned them so the inner parts of the spirals look as though they follow a line of a circle. After grouping the spirals, you can stroke the paths with the pattern brush, then copy and rotate this until it is a full circle. Double click the preview icon of the pattern brush, choose 'Add space to fit', and play with the scale until you are happy.

Altering the amount of circles in the line and the tightness of the spirals will dramatically alter the end look. It is up to you to experiment.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Real quick (If you don't have Illustrator)

Open a document, set your center guides.
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.46.56 AM.png

Select your Brush Tool and open your Brushes panel.
Set your Brush size and spacing.
Under shape dynamics, set to fade, set fade to 20.
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.47.24 AM.png

Create a new layer.
Select your Pen Tool, set to path.
Create a path starting from the outside and work towards center.
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.48.23 AM.png

When path is done, right click, choose Stroke path - Brush tool - Simulate pressure OFF. Click OK.
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.48.50 AM.png

Duplicate the layer.
Hit Command + T to enter the transform function.
Set your pivot point on the center of the guides. Zoom in when you do this.
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 9.04.22 AM.png

In the tools option bar, set your angle to 15. Click the checkmark or hit enter.

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.51.12 AM.png

This is what you should have.
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 9.01.17 AM.png

Now hit Shift + alt/opt + com/cntrl + T until it goes all the way around.

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 8.51.47 AM.png

I hope I did not leave anything out! I have to run to work. Will check back later.

You could now highlight all the rotated layers, duplicate and then merge. Group and save the original layers.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
@stufflol: Often, one can teach a procedure more effectively and deeply by illustrating something very similar to what the person requested, thereby forcing the student to slightly modify the procedure to get it to work in their own situation. I don't know if this is what Sam had in mind when he did smaller to larger instead of the opposite, but I have no problem with this.

T

thats ace sam but I think ur dots are upside down

I'd just like to point out that the dots Sam has used are circular, meaning the dots will always look the same at 90 degrees, upside down, or the right way up. I on the other hand had Illustrated the issue that arises when the size incrementation is reversed. This is because the original post had the following text.

In addition, it would be even more preferable to create the pattern inverted, so instead of the circles reducing in size towards the center–they would increase in size towards the center, thus decreasing in size away from the center. Ideas anyone?

Ethan

Hope this clears the matter of 'dot direction' up to a satisfactory ending so people can further appreciate the excellent direction given by Sam, without having to worry at which angle to place a circle.

Good morrow!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stuffol - I know exactly what you meant! That was the best possible reply to my post that I could have ever wished for! It was hilarious!

Tom - Thanks for the help!

Spruce - Your the best man, I really do appreciate you.

dv8 - Thanks!

Big E - Your certainly welcome. If you want to reverse the effect, just work from the inside to the outside when you create the path with your Pen Tool.

Last edited:

zoe20

Power User
omg awesome stuff in here real Gurus in here .

Paul your video cis saying " meh7-vflGevej7.png [h=1]This video has been removed because its content violated YouTube's Terms of Service.[/h]

Last edited: