What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEED HELP! CC 2018

KOKINE26

Hi, I am using Photoshop CC 2018 and I am following a tutorial online to create a beautiful text effect.

I am now at the point where it asks me to right click my text layer and click on create a new path.

My problem here is that the person who made this tutorial was using an older version of photoshop then the one I am using. So what it tells me to do is not available in my version at least not the way he is telling us to do it in his tutorial. So I did look around and found in one of the upper menus that in the "type menu" there is the option"create work path" but for some reasons, it is locked or unavailable because I can't click on it. I did select the text layer and click on the type menu but the "create path" is still unavailable to press on it. So I don't know what else to do. What can I do to make it available? I am joining a picture of what the option looks like right now

Work path.jpg

So what can I do to make it available so I can finish what I was doing? Here is the link to the tutorial I am following if it can help you more figure out how to help me https://textuts.com/colorful-retro-text-effect/.

ALSO, I AM A BEGINNER IN PHOTOSHOP I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT THAT IS WHY I AM FOLLOWING TUTORIALS. SO MAKE SURE TO DETAIL YOUR RESPONSE SO I CAN FOLLOW WHAT YOU WILL TELL ME TO DO. OTHERWISE I MIGHT NOT UNDERSTAND.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Kokinette26

Last edited by a moderator:
I am now at the point where it asks me to right click my text layer and click on create a new path.
No.....it does not. It reads, "Right click the text layer and choose Create Work Path, not "create new path".

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 6.39.28 PM.png

Works fine either way.
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 6.29.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 6.32.52 PM.png

You may not be following instructions. You need to take the time to read carefully. When you communicate with this forum, there's no need for caps and please make sure your getting the instructions right.

Here's what you need to do:

HIGHLIGHT THE TYPE/TEXT LAYER IN YOUR LAYERS PANEL!!

While holding the cursor over the body of the layer (not on thumbnail and not on the canvas) right click and make your selection, or go to TYPE > CREATE WORK PATH.

Back