What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with clipping mask

mackinnon

I must be getting dense in my old age..I have watched a half a dozen vids and tutorials on how to use clipping masks (they we all different in their mythology due to different vers) and several threads have said forget PS, use Illustrator.

I saw this photo on the web and I am trying to replicate it. I did send the author a note and this is what he sent back. "I created a clipping mask between duplicated layers and then played around with the font (Showcard Gothic) sizing, layer style effects, etc..."

When I try to do this, I can do the clipping mask but I can old get the picture our from within the words. It looks like this function is just to make a hole in the picture so the lower layer can poke through.

I suspect I need to just get the outline of the letters...and have the photo poke through the background as well. .which seems to be impossible in PS5.

I did try using a water mark but I couldn't get the same look..

Here is the picture..

10615375_10204615739334249_1183895901273452610_n.jpg

Can anyone help ?
ian

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ian, this is just a text layer that has had the 'fill opacity' lowered in the layer style as well as a Inner Glow added.

London_01.jpg

Last edited:

mackinnon

So, no clipping mask ?

I took a font.(tried both black and white) ....changed it opacity..added inner glow..I don't get the outline that you have or the contrast between the center and the outline..

What am I doing wrong ?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Ian.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Ian, had a phone call..........hold on.......

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You have to use the fill opacity under advanced blending in the layer style.

ss_01.png

mackinnon

Sam,

Ok...I get it...I just fiddle with both the Opacity and Fill Opacity w/inner glow added.

Thank-you !

ian.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, just the opacity fill in the layer style....

IamSam said:
text layer that has had the 'fill opacity' lowered in the layer style as well as a Inner Glow added.

MrToM

Guru
The 'Fill' option should also be directly beneath the 'Opacity' option at the top of the Layers panel...it may be slightly easier to use than opening the Layer style window....unless it didn't exist in CS5?

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes it can work either way (fill opacity), but to simplify the matter......and......since you need to open a layer style to add the Inner Glow anyway, I thought this would be easier.

MrToM

Guru
True...I meant it to be more general advice though, the OP may not use layer styles next time but still would still like to change the 'Fill'.....when using the 'Hard Mix' blending mode for instance.

Regards.
MrTom.