What's new

Need help with having a layer only go over another layer and delete the rest of it

PWD

Hello Photoshop Gurus,

Newbie here, probably really simple but I cannot seem to figure this out, I want to have only one part of a layer go over another, and delete the rest of the layer,

Here are some pictures of what I mean:

e1ed27d5b7ff1ff40c24e70e45060a7a.png

I want the selection to only go over the V and the surrounding curves around it, and delete the rest of the selection.

The reason I want this deleted is because I'm using it for an overlay and you can see the entire layer although it's opaque.

Thanks,

PWD

gedstar

Guru
Re: Need help with having a layer only go over another layer and delete the rest of i

Hi and Welcome to PSG

Not sure if this is what you're after
Just make a selection with the Pen Tool and right click and select Make Selection
Untitled1.jpg

Then hit CTRL J to copy that selection to a new layer and turn off the original layer
Untitled2.jpg

PWD

Re: Need help with having a layer only go over another layer and delete the rest of i

I want to get rid of the black space, I only want the part of the curve that goes over the V and delete the black space.

gedstar

Guru

OK like this?

Untitled3.jpg

PWD

Kinda, keeping the rest of the V and the curves,

gedstar

Guru

Something like this
Untitled4.jpg

PWD

Yes... I think,

PWD

Just tell me how you did it and i'll see, does it look like there was a color/gradient change?

gedstar

Guru

I used the Magic Eraser Tool to get rid of the black
Untitled6.jpg

Then I used the Pen Tool in shape mode to draw a new shape with no fill and changed the stroke to dotted lines
Untitled5.jpg

PWD

Hmm, thats not quite what I want, here's a better way for me to describe it:
28c3b451e778d88df4d6086c80522733.png

The lighter color change on the V and the curves beside the V I want to keep, but the white space surrounding the V and the curves besides it I want gone,

gedstar

Guru

Just use the Magic Eraser Tool

gedstar

Guru

Forgot to mention you may want to use the color range tool to select the other side to clear that as well, just make a selection with the color range tool and hit the delete key to clean it up

Untitled.jpg