What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with old pic

namvet

Power User
I am needing some help with this ? I will explain as follows ?
Re image one (on the left)
I have the original pic (it is 12?x8?), which is about 75 years old. I have scanned it (in colour at 600dpi ? bmp file is 85mb) I will be repairing and printing the pic for the family. The pic was given the ?sepia? treatment when it was printed 75 years ago and that treatment made this blonde lady a brunette ? so I need some suggestions to make her blonde again (the dark bits are making my attempts look very false) I also have to lighten the eyes as they are far too dark (hers are blue)? the next part of the problem is that a test print has highlighted the mottled paper that the photo studio used (refer inset at bottom right of left pic) and I need to loose that mottled effect without effecting the sharpness of the original image ? am not sure if I will print the final version with the sepia effect or go to black and white (am open to suggestions on this)
Now re the second image (on right) ? I have shown it, as this is the other thing I will be doing with the final image (the 12x8 image c/w blonde hair) will be reduced to about 10% of it?s original (12x8) size ? hope someone can give me some pointers.. Thanks

That's gonna be a fair bit'o work to really fix that up Namvet... just so ya know. ;)

I've taken the liberty of creating a PSD file showing a method of getting the results you asked about.

Here's an outline:

1) lightened hair using Curves Adjustment Layer on hair selection.
(i saved the settings for you)

2) Ligthened the eyes using white paint (new layer) and Overlay blend mode; plus Opacity reduction.

3) Sharpened overall photo using High-Pass filter (3.5) on a duplicate of photo, then set to Overlay blend mode, and reduced the Opacity a little.

4) Removed moire/mottled effect (see inset) using Median filter on a duplicate selection of facial (skin) area.
(my newest tutorial on the site covers this subject in detail)

5) Used Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer to change photo to B&W. You should go to B&W first i think, before going back to Sepia Tone; if you choose to. It's just easier to repair in B&W first.

You'll need to tweak the curves settings a bit to suit your specific needs, but the settings i saved can at least give you a jump start with it.

The PSD file is too larger to attach here Namvet, PM me your email addy and i'll email the file to ya.

the Keeper thanks for reply and explanation .. have sent pm with addy ... again, thanks for help .. much appreciated :)

Good luck Ian :perfect: :)

Mark I like to use the history brush on skin tones and for re touch,do you use it as well?......just curious :D

Stu.

:perfect: Great stuff Mark!

:D And an *awesome* idea Ian! Good luck with your project! ;)

No problem Ian... i just sent the files to you.

Actually Stu no, i don't use that much at all.
I should probably give it a go more often though huh? hehe DOH! [doh]

In this case though too Stu i don't think it would really be applicable. The skin is not being "touched up" so much as a visible anomoly is being removed.

Under more normal/controlled circumstances, yeah, i could see a use for that approach. Care to provide us with an example or two of how you'd go about applying the History Brush for messing with skin tones Stu? hmmm!? %}

Good luck Namvet and I would love to see the image when your done

Mark it is awesome what you can do :perfect: one day some of your magical touch will rub off onto some of us he he he

Stu recently I had to take a photo of lil chunky - for her passport, I brushed her hair and forgot to look at her face..... even through the camera I didn't see it all [stuned]
but there was my cute little button but oh my....... peanut paste over her grubby chops and face! [saywhat]
I opened up ps and used the healing brush to wash her face he he he
then used the dodge tool to brush her teeth........ and I thought I was being clever [shhh] but this project is something else

go Namvet go 8}
sfm

I opened up ps and used the healing brush to wash her face he he he then used the dodge tool to brush her teeth
hahaha aaa if it were only THAT easy huh?! hehe :rofl:

theKeeper said:
No problem Ian... i just sent the files to you.

Actually Stu no, i don't use that much at all.
I should probably give it a go more often though huh? hehe DOH! [doh]

In this case though too Stu i don't think it would really be applicable. The skin is not being "touched up" so much as a visible anomoly is being removed.

Under more normal/controlled circumstances, yeah, i could see a use for that approach. Care to provide us with an example or two of how you'd go about applying the History Brush for messing with skin tones Stu? hmmm!? %}

Well I know in ver 8 we will have non destructive filter layers right,like adjustment layers,well you can do that already kind of using the history brush.You can use any combination of filters lighting,curves etc etc and then using a snap shot and say a Wacom paint it all on to the image you want,for instance skin after a bit of median and you need blur {just a smidegeon} around an eye lid or other you can piant just a touch of g blur along the edge.I love the history brush for re touch,its often easier then the clone tool as well :)

Stu.

thanks for encouragement sfm ... this project is very special to me so I will be persevering, (fortunately I am currently under no pressure with this project) I will probably call for more advice and I will post the result for crits/advice :)

aaa ok i get it now Stu... ya, i knew about that function of the History Brush... never really thought to use it though. I think i'm gonna start playin with that thing. Should come in handy for a lot of things.

Thx! :perfect:

if it were only THAT easy huh?!
trying to keep her clean is the hardest part Mark........ don't worry you will soon see :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hey namvet don't forget to keep us posted on the progress :perfect:
sfm

Great info, Stu! :perfect:

I'm like Mark in that I've never really used the history brush in any serious way. I think it's time to explore the possibilities! :\

Yeppers, keep us posted on your progress with this project, Ian! :)

... a bit of progress :) .... now for the hair :( [doh] [confused] [excited]

Great work Ian! :perfect: Very realistic... doesn't have that 'painted look' that a lot of re-colouring jobs can have!

wow it looks great so far Namvet :perfect: your doing a fine job there :}

Mark will you stop frowning at me............ put on a little weight too I see he he he
sfm

Back