What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with removing bkgrd from behind window

JeffBach

Hi all

I have a series of motorcycle pictures. The motorcycle has a wind screen, fairing with a glass top, what ever you call it :) I shot the pictures in front a green screen. Now the client wants to use some stills.

So the question is - what is the best way to approach removing or replacing the green screen that can be seen through the fairing? I need to retain the "look" of the fairing. At best the glass part is nearly transparent and not really that noticeable. The edges of the glass are the part that is most visible.

I have many shots that need to be touched, so the ideal fix is one that I can apply fairly quickly to numerous images. Some sort of picking and switching is waht I keep coming back to, but for me in the PSD world, I am constantly finding things I have not yet doen or even heard of. Is there something out there to make this easy(ier) ?

Should I change the image to B&W? Do some sort of color swapping? Has anyone encountered this problem before? I need some help!

thx
Jeff

KRF

Power User

JeffBach

found a "good enough" answer

I continued messing around looking for solutions. I shot in front of a greenscreen. So you could see the green color "through" the windshield portion of the fairing from all angle.

The challenge was two-fold:

#1 - remove the green color.

#2 In doing so preserve the "shape" of the nearly transparent glass so that people looking at the picture would be able to easily discern that there was a piece of glass on top of the fairing.

The answer that works for is simply to select the glass portion of the fairing and apply a neutral density filter to that selection. The green color is gone and it is easy to see that the glass portion is still there. I'll post a b4 and after.

#3 - I have to do this to beaucoup images, so something quick is also important.