What's new

Need some help with a missing part

Sternahirundo

I photographed this male Pallid Harrier in the middle of the spring in Northern Greece. I just missed the one wing primary edges, but somehow i would like to add the missed edges (and also add some space around it).
Here is a jpg saved form a Raw file without any editing in PS in the best possible dimensions. I just made an improvement in basic adjustments (WB, Contrast, H&S, NR, CA) in the RAW file in LR .

IMG_7675_Cirmac_PS.jpg

Is there any guideline about how we could deal with such cases ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sternahirundo

Thanks both of you !

I think the additional ones are a little more extended than normal and the corners more sharp turned.
Anyway could you pls tell me the stepes of the process to achieve such a result ?

zippy84

I've recorded it quickly to show you one quick way. I just basically copied the wing, and pasted, deleting with a low flow eraser to blend the 2 backgrounds and 2 wings... blending was quick and probably careless. If I was doing this with a high quality image I would take more time. Was rushing sorry, hope you get the idea.

Edit: Not sure how familiar you are with PS, but the part were I flip around the copied bit of the wing is called Free Transform - Edit>Free Transform

Last edited:

Sternahirundo

Tks a lot for the video instruction. I'll make an effort accordingly to your video.
I have basic knowledge on PS. Sometimes i use layers when i want to add sharpness at certain areas of the photo.

zippy84

Sorry I didn't have time to make a more detailed video. The main tools I use were:
-magic wand tool (wand shortcut - w) on background to select the background and inverse the selection to switch selection to the bird . Inverse selection shortcut - ctr+shft+i
-when bird is selected copy and paste into new layer (ctrl + c, ctrl +v)
-crop tool to drag out and increase the image size (shortcut - c)
-eye dropper tool select background colour (shortcut - i) and paint bucket tool (shortcut - g) to fill in empty space on new layer
-eraser to blend in backgrounds (and wings) - shortcut - e
-poly lasso selection tool to select wing outline on isolated layer (shortcut - l) then another copy and paste into new layer
-free transform tool (ctrl + t shortcut) to flip the selection using the boxes along the top pane when transform tool is in operation

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just watched this video............one thing I would suggest is to NEVER erase anything! Always use layer masking.

The eraser tool should almost never be used for anything!