What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new camera

ooptea

howdy guys

well its time to upgrade to a new digi cam for the wife. the cybershot she has now is just not makeing the grade nemore. it does fine with stills but it only has a 3x digizoom no optical zoom and 2 yr olds dont like to sit still. so i come seeking advice. im looking for a good camera under say 400 dollars with options and anything you guys would recomend. im open to all suggestions but i must admit quite clueless as what to look for in a good camera. so if you could point out feature to look for too that would help

I would consider the CanonA95 (about $300 if I read well)

an overview: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html

My nephew has one. It's a very handy camera and you can use rechargeable AA batteries (get the most powerful you can find: it pays off!).
5MPix allows for top quality 6x8inch pics, and more than very reasonable 8x12inch ones.

If you want more, get the Canon G6. But that's above the budet you specify and perhaps not exactly needed.

i read that article and specs but like i said other then the Mpix to print size converstion i have no clue if this is a good camera. i see it has 3x optical zoom on it. can i find a 4-5 optical zoom for under 300. what features should i be looking for in a good camera?

It's simple: if you get for less than $400 what a camera of $1500 offers, then there must be something wrong with the quality.

My idea:
1/ AA batteries are handier and less expensive that NiCd or whatever. You always need at least two sets.
2/ megapixels does say nothing about quality but about printable size. The sensitivity of the sensor is much more important. Example: no or not too much noise at 400ISO and up.
3/ quality of the lens and its opening. With f:4 and up, you'll have to use flash a lot once you're out of sunlight. Something I dislike. I never use a flash.

apart from steves digicams, there is also
www.dpreview.com

you can also go to your local dealer and try some cameras out.

i dont have a local dealer i live in a small town and the closest one is hr away so i thought i would get some tips here. i dont understand what f:4 means and i dont know if f:3 is better or worse so you lost me there. ISO400 also no clue. i guess i will have to google this stuff because its all greek to me. i dont understand the no flash thing either???? what does it matter? remember you are talking to a computer geek w NO camera knowledge at all..... if the photos need photoshoped im all over it but as far as picking the camera im like a lost puppy

Some camera info

I'll try to help a liitle, I've had more experience with cameras than with Photoshop.
The f number is a way to express the size of the opening in the aperture, the smaller the number the larger the opening and the more light passes through. For dim light a lens at f2.8 would be better than one at f5.6, for example.
You would likely have the camera on auto exposure to set this automatically but some cameras have a larger maximum aperture than others.
The ISO number is the sensitivity to light of the sensor, the lower numbers need more light but produce less noise, the higher numbers need less light but can produce excessive noise at very high settings. The digital cameras I have used have an auto setting for ISO and will only use the higher settings when necessary.
Some people don't like the way pictures look when taken by flash, others don't mind. If you have a person that is a good distance from the background the person will be bright and the backgrond will very dark because light from the flash falls off rapidly.
With a lens that opens to a fairly wide aperture and the ISO high enough you can get pretty good results in many low light situations..
It would be easier to offer suggestions if you would say what your main uses for the camera would be.

thanks for the info fotobil. mainly this camera will be used just for casual pictures. cookouts, family gatherings, and the things my kids do that my wife thinks is photoworthy. we are going to the zoo soon and i expect lots of pictures will be taken there but that is the general use. while the use is minimal i still want a good camera, i am not pleased with the one we have now and its time to go at least a step up maybe 2 or 3 if the wallet can afford it

I'm really sorry Ooptea for having overlooked that not everyone speaks the terminology.
Thanks Photobill for the help.
Imo, for what you wrote now, that Canon still holds.
But Bill may have other suggestions.

no worries erik being in IT i too forget that not everone knows how to find a MAC address or renew their ip address i will take a look at that cannon again (i never ruled it out) and see if i can compare it to anything else in that prise range.

Back