What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Dark Forum Style is Now the Default

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Ok after many requests for a dark style, it's finally here.

What do you guys think of the new look?

There are still a couple bugs I am working ou of it, but I figured I would go live with it and just keep ironing them out.

The main issue that I know of is with Internet Explorer 7 or earlier and it causes the Login/Register links in the upper right to not display properly. This can make it difficult for some users to log in, and if you have this problem just switch back to the old default layout which is now called "Light Breeze" by selecting it from the drop down box in the bottom left area of the pages.

Please give me your feedback and tell me how you like the new skin!

Tron

Guru
It's amazing. I love it. Thanks for the hard work guys.

I don't have an issue with the login boxes. The only thing I can see right now is that all the new smilies look like they need to be replaced because they have white pixelation/matting around them :)

Really nice job though, it's way easier on the eyes.

psIloveyou

Dark Forum

Hi All,

After living with the dark forum for a day or two - I'm really liking it.
I switched back and forth between it and the blue and white "light breeze" style in the lower left corner of the forum and have to admit the dark obsidian is my favorite.

Yes, your right, Tron its a lot easier on the eyes! I just got contacts and can appreciate the break from all the white light.

Thanks admin for all the great work! Looks super! :)

iDad

Guru
Much easier on the eyes.with new bigger screen....... On thing, I and this is not a complaint, I like the banner from before,just the simple PSG one .The one up top here is almost to busy, and the name is tricky to read imo, who ever did it, it's nice work but it just doesn't jive with what I got use to from here. .I guess.
AllinAll though the site ROCKS!

abbe

Personally I love the new design including the banner. the old one looked too "commercial" or something... this looks more artistic. Even if the words are a little hard to read I think they look really cool.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the page background image... it looks like it doesn't exactly fit. I think something that added a glow to the left and right margins of the forum elements would look better, or that repeats on the y axis...

Also there are some things that you are probably aware of that need to be fixed in this theme still, mainly black text in some parts that is difficult to read on the dark background. If you need me to point out where this occurs for me I can take some screens for you. I think when you work all the bugs out of it though this will be one of my favorite forum themes.

Good job.

Shopped

I'll throw in my :02:

this dark theme is a HUGE improvement. Most of use graphic designers look at the computer monitor for long periods of time, and light or white themes are a strain on the eyes after a while. This is much better.

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the replies guys, it's helpful to have your input :)

@Tron - the smilies have now been updated and should all look good on dark backgrounds.

@iDad - I know the old logo and header was here for a long time and this new one is very different. The old one simply won't work with a dark color theme, and we thought it would be good to revamp it anyway. The whole rest of the site outside the forum will be changes to match down the road.

@abbe - the background suggestion is good, actually I was thinking of something similar. I'll play with some things and see how it goes.

If anyone has any other suggestions or feedback I would be happy to hear it.

Steve

Retired Administrator
New guy here so I 'm sure I'm missing something but I remember two choices on how to view this site and these forums.
I don't remember what the settings are or where they were but the default one was dark with ads covering the messages :rolleyes: and the second is what I'm using now, no ads.:D

Am I missing something?

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Steve, if you scroll down to the bottom left of any page in the forum there is a pop out menu where you can choose between the available styles.

the current choices are Obsidion which is the dark (now the default) theme and Light Breeze which is the light theme. the previous theme that was here before you joined was nearly all white and a lot of people were complaining it was hard to look at.

The ads are unfortunately necessary to support development of the site, but the issue you are referring to was a bug with the image sizes and has now been fixed. The ads should not interfere with the images in posts anymore.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Thanks for the heads up on where to toggle from Obsidian to Light Breeze.
I still see ads in Obsidian and my old eyes find Light Breeze (and no ads) easier to view.

KRF

Power User
Ok after many requests for a dark style, it's finally here.

What do you guys think of the new look?

There are still a couple bugs I am working ou of it, but I figured I would go live with it and just keep ironing them out.

The main issue that I know of is with Internet Explorer 7 or earlier and it causes the Login/Register links in the upper right to not display properly. This can make it difficult for some users to log in, and if you have this problem just switch back to the old default layout which is now called "Light Breeze" by selecting it from the drop down box in the bottom left area of the pages.

Please give me your feedback and tell me how you like the new skin!

Just to add, if you go to My Steeings > General Settings > Forum Skin, and pick a new skin from there, this will load every time you log in to the forum, this will help with any problem any IE7 users may have :)

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
The IE7 issues should be fixed now in the default skin. If anyone still has problems please report them here.

Im not sure what the other board looked like but this style is hands down the best ive seen on a forum and ive seen a LOT!! It's easy on the eyes, almost ambient, no errors on my end, tried on Chrome, IE and Firefox...

Edit: Checked the other style, default = MUCHO better!!

Last edited:

Yutosi

Power User
I have to agree, this style is one of the best I have seen.

There are still some very minor issues of certain text being hard to read (for example the facebook text at the top of post pages) but I know you guys are working on fixing all those and have done a bang up job so far.

Great work!