What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New To PS7--How To Duplicate Image Size

Bob

I?m very new to PS7 and am frustrated with trying to do a simple action. I invested in PS to bring my website up a notch. I?ve been using ?PS Classroom in a Book? and ?50 Fast PS7 Techniques? and I?ve looked over the threads in this forum, but still can?t seem to find the answer to my PS problem.

I?m using a Frontpage Template and want to replace one of the template images with my own. I?ve made note of the template image?s dimensions (750 X 120 pixels / 10.417 X 1.667 inches). The photo I want to replace with the template image is ( 1655 X 630 pixels / 22.986 X 8.75 inches). I want to change the size of my photo to the same size as the template image. I?ve tried several things including changing the sizes while in ?Image Size?, but when I do and hit ?ok? the picture becomes much, much smaller than the template image (it doesn?t make sense to me why the photo becomes so small when I?ve inputted the same pixel numbers as the template image).

I thought something this basic would be easy to do, but I?m finding it?s not considering my lack of knowledge. Can anyone help me here?

heya BOB and welcome to the board :perfect: :perfect:
im not sure if this solves your problem but it is important to note that not all documents appear to that of their actual size in PS. so why not print out both templates or post them here to see if their finished products are in fact the same size. hope this helps, i dont know what more to say but good luck with it :D :D

Open the Image Size dialog box.

The pixel dimensions should read 1655x630

Near the bottom see that "Constrain Proportions" is unchecked, and that "Resample, Bicubic" is checked.

Now change the above mentioned pixel dimensions in 750x120

Hit OK

When on the web, inches or cm or dpi plays NO ROLE at all: only pixel size. The 72dpi is only an indication of the size of the image when it will be printed: every pixel will be 1/72 of an inch. On the monitor, only your screen settings, ie 800x600, 1280x960 is deciding how large the pic will be.

To get the exact pixel dimensions, try using the crop tool and specifying 755 x 120 in the tool's menu at the top of the screen. Then drag the crop tool over your picture. Make sure you double click the zoom tool afterward to see your picture at 100% resolution.

Erik said:
Open the Image Size dialog box.

The pixel dimensions should read 1655x630

Near the bottom see that "Constrain Proportions" is unchecked, and that "Resample, Bicubic" is checked.

Now change the above mentioned pixel dimensions in 750x120

Hit OK

Thanks to both of you for getting back to me so quickly. I did as you suggested here and the change was made, however, the photo proportion changed--can I do this yet allow the photo to look like the original?

Not without stretching the photo in one direction (could look pretty funny). What you might do is resample bicubic so that either the height or width is the same as the desired template image and the other is smaller. Then select a background color that blends well with your picture (probably black) and select "image", "canvas size". A dialogue box will pop up. Uncheck "Relative" and type in the desired dimensions. Hit Ok.

Hope this helps.

pdog182 said:
Not without stretching the photo in one direction (could look pretty funny). What you might do is resample bicubic so that either the height or width is the same as the desired template image and the other is smaller. Then select a background color that blends well with your picture (probably black) and select "image", "canvas size". A dialogue box will pop up. Uncheck "Relative" and type in the desired dimensions. Hit Ok.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I'm not quite following you here. I'm pretty slow with the fact that the main reason I purchased PS was thinking I could do just this without changing the proportions of the photo--really shows what I don't know!!! But, if you could reword your suggestion again I would very much appreciate it.

If you resample your image, setting the width to 750, the height will adjust to 285. Now by unchecking "constrain proportions" you can set the height and width to whatever you want, but the image will not look the same. If you change the proportions of an image, the appearance has to adapt. There's no way around that.

In order to achieve 120 pixel height, without stretching the width of the image, you have to accept the constrained proportions of 316 x 120. That's going to leave a lot of blank space for your 750 goal. So what I'm suggesting is that you resample the image to 316 x 120 and then add black (or any color) to both sides of the image by adjusting the canvas size. If you don't want to leave so much blank space in your image and you don't mind cropping some of the height in your image, you can use the crop tool (set at proportions closer to 755 x 120) and then use the adjust canvas size command.

If you post your image, we might be able to come up with some more ideas to make your picture look the way you want it to.

PS I forget to say it earlier, but welcome to the board :D

Just post a reply and at the bottom where it says "Add an Attachment" click browse and locate the file you want to upload from your computer.

pdog182 said:
Just post a reply and at the bottom where it says "Add an Attachment" click browse and locate the file you want to upload from your computer.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to try to work with those you made and see how it goes--if I get stumped, I know which website to come to. I'm happy to be part of this forum...who knows, maybe in a few years I can start giving advise to novices? As is a fact, expert GO players must play for years and years before they can even reach the status of experts--I'm starting to wonder if PS surpasses that?

Back