What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New User/business card graphics question

HercLSB

I'm new to the board, and fairly new to Photoshop, what I do know is self taught. I've come here to seek the advice of some seasoned veterans!! I'm having a problem with making small graphics for a business card I'm trying to design. The problem is that the graphics look great at a larger size, but when I start working on it at the size needed for a business card, 2x3.5 inches, the graphics are highly pixelated and really look crappy. I was just wondering if you guys had any tips for working with small graphics and making them look crisper.

Well, this seems like a great board, so hopefully I'll be able to learn from everyone here and who knows, maybe I'll have some advice to offer out.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

ljiljana

Guru

HercLSB

Lily, thanks for the warm welcome. After messing around with it this weekend, I discovered something that you all probably have known forever. I had the image set at 72dpi which is great for web graphics, but apparently for print, not so good. I bumped it up to 1200 and the prints are coming out amazing now. I got clued in from one of the topics you posted, so thanks!!

Later

Jay

J

John1

No need to bring it up to 1200, 200-300 should be just fine for most printers :)

HercLSB

I only did 1200 because the printer we have here in the office is capable of that level, so I figured what the heck. Only drawback is the file size.

J

Welles

Guru
Hi HercLSB,

When you say your office printer is capable of printing at 1200 dpi, it doesn't mean that your file is any better at a 1 to 1 correlation. Try creating a file at a resolution of 300 and you will see no difference in your current 1200 file as opposed to the smaller file. 300 is plenty for almost any printing.

Welcome aboard the board.

HercLSB

Thanks Welles, I'll try that. If nothing else, it will make the files much easier to manage!!

J