What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fredfish

Guru
I have just started using Photoshop and boy it is complex to say the least. Going to have fun with this program and all of it's features.

Hi Vader and welcome aboard!! Absolutely right that Photoshop is a complex program.

However remember that you don't have to do it all at once! I liken it to learning to drive a car. You are not expected to drive across country during your first lesson, you will gradually pick up new skills as you go and many of them will very quickly become second nature. So although during your first few sessions you may feel like you are continually stalling - before long you will be performing hill starts and reverse parking maneuvers without giving it a second thought!!

Keep plugging away and you WILL get there.

Perhaps choose a small simple project to begin with and work up from there.

And as Ged said just ask here when you get stuck.

Cheers

John

vader1701

Thank you for responding Fredfish,

I have this project that I want to do I had a buddy make me a graphic for my old sticker that us vloggers (motorcycle video recording (logging) riding) users on YT pass around, well I bought a new bike and the old pic is no longer valid so I want to make a new pic for my new sticker and the guy that did mine using PS did my old one while waiting for his wife at the doctor. Well not wanting to bother him again I want to make the attempt myself the idea is to morph the face portion of Darth Vader's helmet into the front headlight section of my Honda Silverwing. Both are black and I am doing the reading, practicing etc. I just want the claim that I did it not someone else. Now I want to buy a pen tablet because I found it way to difficult to do with a mouse so I am looking at buying the.
[h=1]Wacom Intuos Pro PTH651 8.8" x 5.5" Active Area USB Pen and Touch Medium[/h]
Figure that would help me a lot after reading a lot of stuff on here about this tool.

gedstar

Guru
Don't try to run before you can walk, I personally think you are much better of getting to grips with Photoshop before making the jump to buying a Wacom Tablet. You can always purchase the Tablet when you feel more comfortable with Photoshop at a later stage.
Photoshop requires a lot of patience and practice as does learning to use a Wacom Tablet.
Just my 2 cent worth!!

Here are some good tutorials on Making Selections in PS, something that you will need to learn if you intend doing photo manipulations as your previous post suggest you are
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/selections/

Last edited:

vader1701

Ok great info, I was thinking that it would make doing this project a little easier. Looks like I need to do some serious reading first...maybe practice too, thank you

fredfish

Guru
Don't try to run before you can walk, I personally think you are much better of getting to grips with Photoshop before making the jump to buying a Wacom Tablet. You can always purchase the Tablet when you feel more comfortable with Photoshop at a later stage.
Photoshop requires a lot of patience and practice as does learning to use a Wacom Tablet.

Totally agree - although in the long term many people find that a graphics tablet is a far superior input device when using Photoshop you might be surprised at how many people just don't take to it. Completely agree with Ged that it is a very specific skill to learn and your time at this stage is almost certainly better spent getting to grips with the basics.

There can be a tendency to think that the more gear you have the better you will be - this is only true if you get to grips with the basics. To go back to my driving analogy, my brother has a Ferrari sitting in the driveway, and that is where it will stay until he has had a few driving lessons! (BTW - my brother wishes the previous statement was true ;) ).

Your suggested starter project sounds excellent - follow Geds links for Masking tutorials. Probably (in my opinion) the most important concepts to get you head around are Layers, Masks and blending modes.

Best of luck - and keep asking!

Cheers

John