What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number of VB Skins

Gauss, this is just a suggestion, but i think you need to just make it to were users can't change there own styles or themes.. Rock the one everyone wants to use and be done. It saves time and having to worry about keeping up on the code for two different themes. Just a suggestion..

KRF

Power User
Re: separate announcements and stickys

Gauss, this is just a suggestion, but i think you need to just make it to were users can't change there own styles or themes.. Rock the one everyone wants to use and be done. It saves time and having to worry about keeping up on the code for two different themes. Just a suggestion..

Why would you want to alienate members by only giving a "Dark theme", some members like to have a light theme, so they can see it better.

As it's a forum where any one can join, you need to be thinking of the other people out there that like the light theme.

But I say Gause you should keep 2 themes, as this make it more user friendly for members that like the light theme, as the dark theme is to hard to read, and not every ones eye sight is like every one else's.

Last edited:

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Moved this to a new thread.

Actually it is something every forum admin has to consider.

With one theme it's a lot easier to make changes and keep up with coding, plus you know you have uniformity and you know how everyone sees your pages. It's easier to keep your image or "branding" the way you want it as well.

With a choice of several themes you have the added benefit of selection in the case that some users do not like your default theme.

I personally love the dark theme and think it is easier on the eyes and easier to read. To me the white theme is just too bright and it's hard for me to read anything on it. I know some users would say the opposite is true for them. It's nice to be able to please everyone if possible.

At this point I am trying to maintain two themes, but it gets tricky sometimes and it certainly does create a lot of extra work. What usually happens is the dark theme which is set to the forum default gets all the new features, and it takes a while before the light theme gets stuff added. It's just the cost o having more options.

KRF

Power User
Moved this to a new thread.

Actually it is something every forum admin has to consider.

With one theme it's a lot easier to make changes and keep up with coding, plus you know you have uniformity and you know how everyone sees your pages. It's easier to keep your image or "branding" the way you want it as well.

With a choice of several themes you have the added benefit of selection in the case that some users do not like your default theme.

I personally love the dark theme and think it is easier on the eyes and easier to read. To me the white theme is just too bright and it's hard for me to read anything on it. I know some users would say the opposite is true for them. It's nice to be able to please everyone if possible.

At this point I am trying to maintain two themes, but it gets tricky sometimes and it certainly does create a lot of extra work. What usually happens is the dark theme which is set to the forum default gets all the new features, and it takes a while before the light theme gets stuff added. It's just the cost o having more options.

But as the main theme is the Dark, I understand that it takes time to sort out the Light theme, the second theme always takes a hit on any forum as there trying to get the main theme sorted out before doing any others.

But this is not a reason to have only one theme, and as we have a site suggestion section, if you remove the light theme, you will get people asking for you to make a light theme as there are people out there that don't like drak themes.

iDad

Guru
I know a bunch of forums that offer more than one theme, but I can imagine the frustrations they cause

I run 3 forums myself and only offer one... Every forum i goto only offers one with the exception of here.... Must just be the forums i goto..

KRF

Power User
I run 3 forums myself and only offer one... Every forum i goto only offers one with the exception of here.... Must just be the forums i goto..

I think it must be the forum you use, I have admined and modded on a lot of forums and every one of them have had more than one skin, the only forum I knw of come to think of it, is the VB forum, that only uses one skin.

Steve

Retired Administrator
I personally like the light theme.
Users using using the dark theme have used white text which is fine for the dark theme but shows up as no text on the light one unless you highlight it.
That's another issue here.

iDad

Guru
Most themes go on the premise that most users know what they are doing, it's just not the case .......just yet

The main reason i don't offer several themes is because anytime you install a new mod or update something, you have to do it to every theme you have which takes up to much time and sometimes certain themes don't play well with certain code or mods.. I do have 6 themes installed on my forums but it's up to me to decide which one gets used.. I don't think i will ever change that option either.

I used to let members pick there themes but it became a problem bouncing back and forth and it became to much work. People fail to realize how much work go's into running a forum...

iDad

Guru
I have a forum that was given to me I have no clue how to edit it driving me crazy a vB

KRF

Power User
my board?

he is on about the forum software also known as a "board" heance the name for "BBcode" means "Bulletin Board code", so he is asking if you want to sell the software.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
There's valid points on both sides of this question. Most large/active forums do only use one skin.

For now we will stick with using two skins, and those who use the light skin will just have to deal with some issues.

It's a big help when problems with the light skin are reported, and usually I can fix them fairly quickly. Because I don't use the light skin myself, I rarely notice any of the issues with it.

iDad if you need any help with VB let me know.

iDad

Guru
sent PM.Talk about confused.............doh

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Hehe, I totally understand. It's very confusing when you get started, but you'll get the hang of it.

iDad

Guru
I need to hire someone that does this stuff

I've been mod/admin for years but never got my hands dirty in the admin end of things

Last edited: