What's new

opacity not saving all of a sudden (CS5)

DrBeak1

Greetings forum,

I have been using photoshop for a long time now. Yesterday I tried to create a .png that originally contained two layers. Layer 1 was a fill with it's opacity set to 75% and Layer 2 was a centered image. In the past I have been able to save this as a .png and retain the opacity of Layer 1. For some reason now when I save this the opacity is not being saved. I tried going into "Save for Web" and using the png-24, I even looked at the preview of the saved image which clearly showed a semi-transparent Layer 1. But the final saved .png always has an opaque fill. WTH? This has never been an issue before.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DrBeak1

make sure your setting when making new document the background is set transparent
Thanks for responding, iDad. I am definitely setting the background as transparent at start. The issue seems to arise only when I try to save as a .png. I was also experimenting with merging my layers before saving. When I "Merge Layers" the opacity is retained, but when I "Flatten Image" the opacity is lost--the same as when I save as a .png. Thanks again for your response. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears [well, eyes--it's a screen and I'm reading].

iDad

Guru
When you merge the layers I think they may be going solid color on you, check the opacity (top of layers window) before saving View attachment 10796

check your image mode as well

Last edited:

DrBeak1

When you merge the layers I think they may be going solid color on you, check the opacity (top of layers window) before saving check your image mode as well
Nah - it holds the opacity in layers tab through the save but I still get a solid color.
Screen Shot 2011-11-21 at 10.27.18 AM.png
shot taken just before clicking the final "save".