What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening images by dragging them into PS

tkk

When I try to open a .jpg image by dragging it into the main photoshop window, I get the create new image dilogue box with the same specs as the .jpg filled in. It also gives the new image the same name as the original .jpg. I run PS 6.0 under win 98. There is no crisis here, just severe annoyance.

I just tried it (win98, PS6) and it only opens the image. I do not get the 'new image' window.

Your PS Pref file could be corrupted, so find it, rename it, and restart PS. This will force PS to create a new Pref file.

Now try again and see if it fixes the problem. (you can always restore you original pref file if needed because you only renamed it)

otherwise I don't know

First off, welcome aboard tkk! :)

I experience the same results as Squeeze and have no probs dragging an image icon into PS and having it open as it should. (WinXP, PS7) [confused]
Sorry that I can't be of any *real* help but I just might conclude/guesstimate that your preference file might be the source of your angst, as Squeeze has pointed out. Try resetting same as follows: Hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift immediately after launching Photoshop. A prompt will ask if you want to delete the preferences file. Click Yes. Photoshop will now launch based on its original default settings...

;) Obviously, before going this "drastic route" you should backup all your tool proferences.

Let us know how you make out... ;)

Welcome to the board TKK, let us know if you need anymore help ;)

Back